Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Two NICs, neither connect to internet - clean install

Hey gang. My old UT box died a while back (and we went without). Then today a board on the old HD went up in smoke when trying to transfer to a new drive, so I'm going with a clean install in a new box.

It's a
    Dell Vostro 230 (internal NIC disabled in BIOS)
    80GB Seagate SATA HD
    1GB RAM
    1 Intel PCI NIC
    1 3Com PCI NIC
    Static IP

9.2 installed fine, recognized both cards. Go to next screen and put in IP, Subnet, Gateway, and both DNS addresses. Hook the EXT card to a live ethernet cable into the switch and get a box that says "Internet Status. Warning! Internet and DNS failed."

I've changed which is INT and EXT, tried plugging the cable into the INT card even tho that's wrong. Nothing seems to work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Have to head out for the day, but back Friday to tackle this. I'd love to have an idea of what to try next.

Thanks!

Did you confirm your IP settings after you exited the wizard? Mine always seems to reset after I go through the wizard back to DHCP and I have to configure the IP information a second time on my external card. Ignore the setup in the wizard then go into network from the webui and set all the IP info there.
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

It's best to install Untangle with the box connected to the Internet especially when using DHCP for the WAN.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    It's best to install Untangle with the box connected to the Internet especially when using DHCP for the WAN.
    I don't use DHCP for WAN, I have a static. But each and every time I set my IP info it reverts to DHCP and I have to do it all over again once I exit the wizard. That was why I was suggesting he double checked after he exits the wizard to make sure that the settings stuck
    Dan

You may one day find something interesting here. Today is not that day. Tomorrow isn't looking too good either.

Untangler

Default UPDATE - SOLVED (props to dbunyard)

We use static IPs on our LAN (192.168.14.xxx), and I typed the numbers in over and over. The IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS. Every time it gave me the error message it would clear them out and I would have to retype them.

I tried using a different IP for the box. I tried using a different cable. I tried plugging into our backup DSL line (same ISP, same DSN settings).

Per dbunyard's suggestion, I then tried clicking NEXT instead of TEST CONNECTIVITY. I get a box that says "Please wait. Saving..." and takes me to the page where you select Bridge (which I did). When I get to the main screen I get the red notice "...Unable to contact the App Store."

From there I click on the Networking link which takes me back to the Network setup page, where I again had to re-enter my settings (where did they go?), and clicked SAVE. It's now downloading the Updates (or Upgrades...which is it?).

That seems to have done the trick. Special thanks to dbunyard for the brilliant suggestion!

Maybe there should be a "Save Settings" box before you get to the TEST CONNECTIVITY button?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentNul View Post
    We use static IPs on our LAN (192.168.14.xxx), and I typed the numbers in over and over. The IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS. Every time it gave me the error message it would clear them out and I would have to retype them.

I tried using a different IP for the box. I tried using a different cable. I tried plugging into our backup DSL line (same ISP, same DSN settings).

Per dbunyard's suggestion, I then tried clicking NEXT instead of TEST CONNECTIVITY. I get a box that says "Please wait. Saving..." and takes me to the page where you select Bridge (which I did). When I get to the main screen I get the red notice "...Unable to contact the App Store."

From there I click on the Networking link which takes me back to the Network setup page, where I again had to re-enter my settings (where did they go?), and clicked SAVE. It's now downloading the Updates (or Upgrades...which is it?).

That seems to have done the trick. Special thanks to dbunyard for the brilliant suggestion!

Maybe there should be a "Save Settings" box before you get to the TEST CONNECTIVITY button?

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    I don't know why but the last few times I have re-installed my settings never stuck in the wizard no matter if I hit "test" or "next". I always end up having to re-enter them in the main webui after the wizard exits. Oh well, glad you got it working!
    Dan

Master Untangler

I can confirm that BUG just downloaded the newest iso from Untangle.com and installed it to my testbox, installer doesn´t save my static configuration

Master Untangler

Similarly, I built a fresh VM using 9.2 r5. After the initial install, I entered the static IP info but never could connect to the ISP. The settings stuck, but never could connect. Had a brilliant idea to restore the backup from 9.1.1, which resolved that issue. Downloaded the apps and restored the backup again. All is happy now. Scratched my head for a long time trying to figure out why I could not connect to the ISP using the exact same settings as my old UT box.
    ...Rick

Quote Originally Posted by fslomka View Post
    I can confirm that BUG just downloaded the newest iso from Untangle.com and installed it to my testbox, installer doesn´t save my static configuration
    I can't reproduce this. I just downloaded an ISO, changed the external address from DHCP to static and proceeded.

Pressing Test Connectivity works for me as well with accurate settings and doesn't work with non-accurate settings.

Not sure what the next step would be.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    I can't reproduce this. I just downloaded an ISO, changed the external address from DHCP to static and proceeded.

Pressing Test Connectivity works for me as well with accurate settings and doesn't work with non-accurate settings.

Not sure what the next step would be.
    Don't know then, it's done it for me the last few times I re-installed. I will re-install the VM I made the other day at work that's not live yet and see if I can re-produce. I will keep a video of the whole thing so maybe someone can spot what triggers it.
    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast