Untangler

Default How to set up policy manager for web rules

I would guess this question has been asked before, but I haven't been successful in finding the information I need.

I would like set up captive portal with AD connector, and have separate web policies for specified users. Captive portal and AD connector work fine, I just don't know how to go about setting the rest up. It doesn't even have to be detailed, just a list of what needs to be done in what order to give me some kind of a road map would be fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

At the top of the UI, there is a dropdown. Select "Show Policy Manager"

You need to use that window to create a new virtual rack for each different security policy. From there you use that same drop down to select each rack and configure them to have the filtration requirements you need.

Once that is complete, you're free to go back into the policy manager and actually make the policies required to push traffic into your new racks.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

So I make the new rack, set it up with the rules I want to tie to the users. Then in the policy wizard, I would do something like put in the AD users that policy applies to, and the new created rack. Untangle can only know who you are via the capture portal then, right?

When I make a new rack, it doesn't have the web application listed, only services show up. Am I missing something? I was figuring that the applications would show up there, I configure the application in that rack with settings, and then apply that rack to users via policy and capture portal.

You have to install applications in that rack just like you did the Default one when you first configured Untangle.

Use the apps tab to install them.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Ah, that explains it then. I can't believe I didn't see that until I read this post.

The Policy Manager is the least expensive module in Untangle's line up. It's also the most powerful, and mind bending.

I've been meaning to put together a training video on that module by itself for years now. I just keep not getting around to it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Well you helped me plenty, as far as not having to fight a general lack of direction. I'm at least into specifics now. I thought I had everything configured up right, but when I enable captive portal looking to AD for auth, I can't even get an authorization page to come up. I'll keep tinkering. Unfortunately it's already live so I have to be somewhat careful lest I get a bunch of phone calls from the facility wondering why no one can use the internet.

You're right, seems like policy manager can do quite a lot if properly configured.

The CP accepts many different rule types to define what to capture, just limit your capture rule to a single IP address on a test station and the rest of the world won't notice your tinkering.
    NexgenAppliances.com