Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Default 2 quick questions; premium package; bridge mode.

the first question is:
    I just installed untangle. i logged in -- configured the networking and laucnhed the client. the moment i launched the client it started automatically downloading the premium package. I DONT WANT THAT. i want the light package. why is it auto-starting the download? theres no way to stop it. how can i stop this from happening?

second :: I know iam not the first one to ask this because the untangle wiki sucks and i have to all those who can figure this out. untangle docs suck big time!
    how on earth do you connect things when doing "bridge mode"?
    tell me if i got this correct. as the picture shows my routers external instead of going to the internet should go into the LAN/INTERNAL for untangle? then untangles external/net should go to the internet?

then how do i reach untangle?

Master Untangler

First thing is I wouldn't start trashing untangle in the forums. To answer your questions.

#1 - Let it finishes and you can uninstall the Premium.

#2 - There is no picture attached

Untangler

#1 - sorry where would the uninstall button be? and why should i wait and waste valuable bandwidth? i am in the third world country here.

#2 - i was referring to this picture: http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/I...ridge_mode.png
    and my question again: my routers external instead of going to the internet should go into the LAN/INTERNAL for untangle? then untangles external/net should go to the internet?

actually in the pic it shows untangle ext connected to the router. so i assume it means untangle ext goes into LAN for router/firewall and then the ext for router/firewall goes to net?

It doesn't automatically install. It pops up with a suggestion to install the premium package. You can either click the big orange install button or just close that window.

In bridge mode, the Untangle is just a "smart" cable. It goes in between the devices you want to filter/protect and the device that is providing NAT between your devices and the Internet.

In most cases that's a router/firewall. If you don't already have a device performing NAT, you should install in routed mode.

So, now that you've looked at the picture, do you still have a question? I'm at a loss as to how that drawing can be made any clearer.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    It doesn't automatically install. It pops up with a suggestion to install the premium package. You can either click the big orange install button or just close that window.

In bridge mode, the Untangle is just a "smart" cable. It goes in between the devices you want to filter/protect and the device that is providing NAT between your devices and the Internet.

In most cases that's a router/firewall. If you don't already have a device performing NAT, you should install in routed mode.

So, now that you've looked at the picture, do you still have a question? I'm at a loss as to how that drawing can be made any clearer.
    ok so i am making stuff up. maybe i should record a video of it auto forcing the premium package.

and no i dont want a cleaner pic just confirm my question, please:
    so i assume it means untangle ext goes into LAN for router/firewall and then the ext for router/firewall goes to net?
    also since its bridging can i give ut an ip outside of the routers subnet?

A video would be quite helpful actually, please post it.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

you guys are just so eager to prove me wrong.
    i'll get the video asap.

in the meantime, question 2:
    and no i dont want a cleaner pic just confirm my question, please:
    so i assume it means untangle ext goes into LAN for router/firewall and then the ext for router/firewall goes to net?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by cylent View Post
    as the picture shows my routers external instead of going to the internet should go into the LAN/INTERNAL for untangle? then untangles external/net should go to the internet?

then how do i reach untangle?
    Quote Originally Posted by cylent View Post
    your original post and latest post seem to describe two different configurations. The OP sounds like you're putting the Untangle between your router and the internet connection, while the last post sounds like you're putting the Untangle between the client PC's and the router, with the router connected to the internet. Which is it? The latter configuration is preferred, and the connections you describe sound correct.

no, not without additional configuration. an Untangle bridge isn't a true layer 2 bridge device. packets that pass through it are destroyed and re-built based on the Untangle's routing table. so it's by far simplest if the Untangle has a valid IP in the network being bridged, and has it's network mask correctly defined for that network.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post

no, not without additional configuration. an Untangle bridge isn't a true layer 2 bridge device. packets that pass through it are destroyed and re-built based on the Untangle's routing table. so it's by far simplest if the Untangle has a valid IP in the network being bridged, and has it's network mask correctly defined for that network.
    hmm. then that sounds like too much drama/work. because my router thats plugged into the internet has a hotspot system. i wanted untangle to sit between the clients and the router.

so internet <--> hotspot router <--> untangle <--> clients

untangle would just keep getting the hotspot login page ... of course i am assuming here. i may end up trying it to be 100% sure.

even further can you please see if what i have done in the image is correct?
    Last edited by cylent; 03-20-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    A video would be quite helpful actually, please post it.
    ok i saw the problem i was having. it would automatically start IF NOT intercepted! so i was right and wrong in some way.
    nevertheless this is a very lame tactic!

Still -- now my Lite package has vanished?

http://youtu.be/l24qAVm5vUo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast