Master Untangler

Default ADmin password suddenly reset to default!

Today I couldn't access the web-administration site. I SSHed in and rebooted untangle and it came up. But now my password isn't working. I randomly tried the default password and it worked! Luckily off-site administration was turned off again. I'm not at the office so I can't check if the complete config is wiped but at least the certificates are still working.

I'm not sure if there was a auto-update lately or something? Any tips on how I can reset password from SSH and enable off-site administration so I can check this without going to the office? I've had a few beers so it's a bit of a hassle to get there.

ucli passwd

fyi, there is no "default password"
    it is set for the first time in the setup wizard.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    ucli passwd

fyi, there is no "default password"
    it is set for the first time in the setup wizard.

I found it in the WIKI which says factory default is passwd. It was reset to that. I never have typed that in myself.

I get an error using ucli. None of the commands work:

A little error: {u'msg': u'method not found (session may have timed out)', u'code': 591}
    Unable to make the request: ({u'msg': u'method not found (session may have timed out)', u'code': 591})

Quote Originally Posted by arndawg View Post
    I found it in the WIKI which says factory default is passwd. It was reset to that. I never have typed that in myself.
    Where do you see that in the wiki?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

Where do you see that in the wiki?
    I looked really fast but I think it was this:
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/A...or.27s_Account

Scroll to Reset Administrative Accounts, and hit Enter. The following question appears: Reset administrative accounts to factory defaults (admin/passwd)?
    I assure you I have never done this. And from the logs I can see the uvm was restarted around 1am friday. So probably an update did this. I didn't really notice untill today when I saw spam was pouring in.

Do you know how I can get around the ucli issues i'm having?

Thanks, I have updated the wiki.

I'd just contant support with your UID and enable remote support.

Given the things you've described above I'd say you have some very fundamental issue, like your settings are missing or your database is down or something along those lines.

Master Untangler

Thanks, I have updated the wiki.

I'd just contant support with your UID and enable remote support.

Given the things you've described above I'd say you have some very fundamental issue, like your settings are missing or your database is down or something along those lines.

I don't really use any paid for products at the moment. Is support still free?

Short answer: sometimes

We have a low priority support queue for free users.
    They'll help you they have time and your server is accessible with support enabled.

I can guarantee we can't help unless you send an email though.

Just as an FYI. An Untangle installation at one of my client sites auto-updated some time over the past week and I had the same exact problem. I was unable to log in at all so I came here to look for solutions, after reading this post I tried using admin with "passwd" as the password (something I have never and would never use as a password) and was able to log in.

This leads me to believe that something in your auto-update process is resetting the admin password.

Edit: Now I just have the problem that my rack is empty, even though all of my setup apps are running as they should.

Untangle Ninja

same here at one of my sites... after the 9.3 auto-update, the web admin password is "passwd", off-site administration is disabled, and the rack is empty. the root password to login to the console/ssh is still set to what I had originally. openvpn is working... i'm not sure about the other apps that were in the rack... no one has complained about a deluge of spam. I haven't had time to look at this further though. I suppose I'll enable remote support and e-mail support referencing this thread and see if they want to have a look.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 09-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.