Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    PFSense is on an overkill box to such a degree as it to never have a measurable load.
    The 1750 was free from a buddy so why not

Untangle will likely not be able to see the RAID 10, unless you're putting VMWare on it first.

RAID + Untangle = Silly anyway.
    as long as it has the drivers for the Perc card, it should be able to see the logical drives...whether raid 10 or 5 or whatever. I think I ran Untangle 8.0 on this 2950 with RAID 10 back 18 months ago. And RAID is not silly if you don't want to have to rebuild a server because of one failed hard drive. And if Untangle is a write intensive database server as it has been described here on the forum, it should benefit from multiple spindles.

It won't benefit unless you're logging thousands of users. And the Untangle server, when supported with the live backup module, takes less than an hour to restore.

You spent more on hard disks, than you would on the IT time it takes to rebuild that server. Wrong direction for TCO. It's your call, your server, but it is a waste, no matter how you slice it.

Furthermore, without monitoring for that RAID, you won't even notice when the thing is degraded. You'll notice when it fails, negating any advantage RAID had to offer.

Cold spare drive = Good idea, RAID? Waste of energy. Mirror is questionable, but beyond that you're spending too much on drives vs the time of recovery.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

It won't benefit unless you're logging thousands of users. And the Untangle server, when supported with the live backup module, takes less than an hour to restore.

You spent more on hard disks, than you would on the IT time it takes to rebuild that server. Wrong direction for TCO. It's your call, your server, but it is a waste, no matter how you slice it.

Furthermore, without monitoring for that RAID, you won't even notice when the thing is degraded. You'll notice when it fails, negating any advantage RAID had to offer.

Cold spare drive = Good idea, RAID? Waste of energy. Mirror is questionable, but beyond that you're spending too much on drives vs the time of recovery.
    RAID is cheap insurance.

If a non-raid UT box goes down, you would need backup hardware on your shelf just waiting around for a failure. Inventory costs money too.

The cost of a down Firewall/router goes way beyond the IT costs. Most businesses cannot tolerate WAN connectivity loss.

But because I am not using UT as my firewall/router, RAID might be overkill for my setup as you say but there is no way I would put my pfSense firewall on a non-RAID setup.

I spent $130 total for 2 ea 15K SAS drives.

Good deal on the drives, that would make sense then. But you aren't doing RAID 10 on 2 drives...

And I agree that most businesses can't tolerate WAN connectivity loss, but Untangle servers are so easy to get back online with a spare drive floating around I've never had a complaint.

If you're talking about a mirror, again that does make some sense in some environments. But any RAID levels more than that are sheer overkill.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Default No More VM's

My pfSense is on a Dell 1750
    My Untangle is on a Dell 2950

Before I put Untangle inline, I tried setting up HAVP and Snort on pfs but the HAVP package is still "beta" for pfs version 2 and as such, I kept getting errors so I gave up on that.

And trying to get snort to work properly was going to take a lot of trial and error and time which I did not want to spend.

AND that is the beautiful part about UT in that you get ClamAV and world class Snort preconfigured and packaged nicely and ready to rack.

So now having run both on VM and now on seperate hardware, I really don't think the VM setup had a discernable performance hit for my 60 user network but giving available hardware resources, I prefer the latter.

And now I have a "super router UTM" on a beer budget.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234