Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle XEN installation not happening

I am running XEN Enterprise and cannot get the Untangle Install CD (5.20) to get past the Welcome page. I have no mouse and the only key that appears to work is the tab key.

I am installing using "Other" as Operating System Platform. Perhaps if I use the Linux version that Untangle is based on, I can proceed further.

What version of Linux is closest for the install? I have CentOS, Redhat, Suse, in 32 & 64 bit, as choices.

I'd like to test the product out and I can only do so under a VM on XEN.

Master Untangler

put a mouse on it, and see if the problem still persists

Yep, I have the same problem too. (And yes, my XenServer machine really does have a mouse and keyboard attached...)

I've tried a couple of other VM templates in XenServer, but not succeeded. The untangle installer gets to the welcome screen, there is an indication of a mouse in the top-left corner briefly, ... but then nothing. No Mouse control. The TAB key moves between the buttons on screen but Return or Enter do nothing and you're stuck. There's no way to proceed with the installer.

I presume XenServer (or XenCenter) may do something cool to handle mouse and keyboard control which might be broken, but so far I've had no issues with it installing other Linux and Windows VM's. I'm thinking maybe Untangle's hardware detection isn't correctly spotting Xen's pseudo mouse driver or something?!

FYI: as XenServer Express is free, anyone can give this a whirl to check it out. XenServer takes all of five minutes to install and set up. It's far better than the free version of VMware Server too, as Xen is a real hypervisor even in Citrix's free version... just slap it on an empty box and off you go... it's a complete doddle. (Speaking just as a happy user!).

S.

Default No mouse in Xen

I have the same problem. I tried an alternate installation routine, downloading the Untangle VMware appliance, then converting it to the Xen appliance format, then importing it into my XenServer Enterprise. However, I experience the same exact issues with the mouse and keyboard. I can't get past the initial screen on the Server Setup Wizard.

I also tried using XenCenter to automagically "Install Xen Tools", but that didn't work--the tools did not get installed.

Anyone figure out how to get the mouse and keyboard working properly yet?

Brian

This issue intrigues me but I don't have any 64bit stations to play with much less one I can devote to a new OS.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Default Xen & 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    This issue intrigues me but I don't have any 64bit stations to play with much less one I can devote to a new OS.
    FYI: XenServer also supports the Intel Core 2 Duo processors. They have the necessary virtualization bits included. Those are usually easier to get your hands on than a server with a 64-bit Xeon processor.

Ahh yes but I don't have any dual core units at all in my lab yet. I know what I need I just don't have it at the moment. I'm planning on making several upgrades to the test equipment this summer. So eventually I'll see what I can do on my end with this stuff. At this point I would be contacting Citrix support because the VM isn't working with a basic ps2 Linux module that exists in every Linux kernel out there. Also, given what I see I wouldn't use the VMWare appliance I would do a normal install with the CD and treat it as a Linux server.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Also, given what I see I wouldn't use the VMWare appliance I would do a normal install with the CD and treat it as a Linux server.
    Yeah...I guess that will have to be my next step. I went through a "standard" vm conversion process with the VMware appliance and it didn't get the mouse to work. What I did was:
    1. Download the VMware appliance
    2. Bring up the VMware appliance in VMware Workstation (in which the mouse and keyboard work fine)
    3. Go through the configuration wizard
    4. Uninstall the vmware-tools software
    5. Shutdown the VM
    6. Convert the VM to XenServer format
    7. Import the VM into XenServer
    8. Start it up
    9. Still no mouse control

Thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas.

Brian

Default Another Xen thread worth looking into

FYI: "Scott" posted a mini-howto in this thread:
    http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?p=20051
    explaining how he got Untangle to work with Xen. It wasn't pretty, but he did get it to work.

I am still looking for an easier way though.

Brian

Untangler

Have you guys tried using the VNC support in Xen? This is all I have ever used to install untangle.

I'm running an old xen 3.0.3 release on a headless machine - i.e. no keyboard, mouse or screen. The mouse works in VNC although is a bit awkward (you will see what I mean if you try it... :-)

I think this is all I did (from google not from the box itself):
    /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp is changed to
    (vnc-listen '0.0.0.0')

The domU-cfg has
    vnc = 1

Then xm list and get the id of the domU

Then
    vncviewer <dom0 ip>:59<domU id>

e.g. if the domU id = 4 and dom0 ip = 192.168.1.11

vncviewer 192.168.1.11:5004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast