Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Building & Transferring License to new Box

Hi, we are planning to build a new Untangle server that is more robust than our current box. The current 6 year old Intel Core-Duo 6600 is still running fairly well, but we have upgrade money, and I would like to be pro-active in swapping it before it fails.

So, I have a few questions:

a)are there any motherboard/processor combinations that would be recommended for Untangle Premium that can have up to 100 workstations connecting to it. I have about $1000 to spend on the hardware, and think money spent on our own box is better than the pre-built appliances which are quite expensive. Bandwidth is fairly limited at 10Mbit with 2Mbit failover ISP. We run about 2/3 of the apps in the virtual rack. We do not use Active Directory. On a 6 year old Intel Core-Duo 6600, Untangle runs at "low cpu usage" almost all the time.

b)What is the best method to make a seamless switch..... build the new box, install Untangle from scratch on the new box, and then transfer the license?

c)Can I restore my configuration settings from the old box--namely all the virtual racks and schedules I have made?

d)I am considering using RAID to provide extra protection from a hard disk failure. Is this s good idea, or would it be a better idea to use only 1 enterprise hard disk, and perform complete scheduled backups of the disk?

Thanks for any tips or pointers in doing a switch-over. I built the first Untangle box no problem, but building another one and transferring licenses and trying to keep all the virtual racks and schedules has me both confused and worried.

a) Get a compatible motherboard, a Core i5/i7 and a quad/dual gigabit pcie nic.

b & c) backup and restore to different hardware/ut versions is not supported and could break UT.
    Try this:
    Ensure your current box is updated
    Backup
    Install UT to the new box and update
    Restore
    [VERY IMPORTANT] Config > Networking > Interfaces > Refresh. Do any changes you might need.
    Cross your fingers and reboot.

d)RAID only helps in case of disk failure, for that and other reasons I prefer Backups.

Master Untangler

Thanks!

You had mentioned a quad or dual nic...... I use single port Intel Pro nic's right now, but was curious about a dual or quad.
    Is using an Intel Pro dual port card exactly the same as using two single port cards? (In terms of how Untangle networking configuration operates). How about a quad port card -vs- multiple single port cards?

btw, I like the idea about no RAID.... it is simpler without, and I will instead use a quality 500GB constellation hard drive.

At the end the number of ports depends on your needs. But dual/quad port nics are so cheap on ebay that is hard to recommend anything else.

OS sees the card as separated interfaces, there is no difference between single and dual/quad nic.

Master Untangler

Thanks again!
    I've been looking into various dual and quad adapters....... I notice some still are the older PCI-X technology, and others PCI-E.
    However, all the Intel adapters say "server adapter". Does this mean I need to have a special motherboard to use them? Or is this a general term, meaning for use in a server environment-- aka Server 2008, Untangle, etc.

Avoid PCI-X. PCIe is the best option, a 4x/8x dual/quad card will work on a pcie 16x port without problems.

Master Untangler

Great, thanks for your input TirsoJRP.

I think I have a complete box spec'd out, complete with a quad adapter, hi-end power supply, and enterprise hard drive.
    Complete unit for $1000, and should be a nice solid box for years to come.

One last thing..... and this could be for anybody with an opinion on motherboards....... is there any quality advantage in getting an actual Intel motherboard, vs an Asus or Gigabyte board?

Intel mainboards are usually a little more expensive vs the competition, with fewer features. However, they do have a reputation of being stable, and long lived.

I know personally, Intel CPU on an Intel mainboard has been the formula for machines I've had last for literally decades. Have others done the same? Sure... but there's something that feels better about an all Intel setup.

For your purposes you should simply consider that Intel as a vendor supports Linux very well, which is why their interfaces work so well with Untangle. And, you likely don't need the extra toys on the mainboard for an Untangle server.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thank you sky-knight.
    I have one choice for an Intel board 1150 (the H87 board) so it can run the new Core i5 Haswell. It has 2 PCIe x16, and 2 PCIe x1 slots, as well as a 3 regular PCI. I think this would still give me plenty of configuration options if needed, as I am planning to use a single Intel quad port adapter. As you have stated, there are fewer features on this board for the same price as other boards, but those are features I do not need for Untangle anyhow.

Haswell based stuff will force you into 10.0 beta, they won't work with 9.4.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast