Master Untangler

Default 10.04beta PPPOE not working

Hi folks, testing 10.04beta out and trying to connect with a PPPoE modem. When I try to use the PPPOE setting in Untangle, i just get a "no.enum.const class com.untangle.uvm.network.interface" error, and cannot continue.

I also tried to put in a bogus Static address for Internet to get past the initial setup, and then attempted to go back in and configure the PPOE later. Still nothing.

My ISP is an older PPPOE modem that does not have any routing capability, nor does it store the authentication info. Naturally, in my regular setup I use my home router to store the PPPOE authentication.

To clarify, this is a brand new install of 10.04 on a new system, using Intel Quad adapter which shows as connected properly to External, and trying to use PPPOE in Untangle.

Feeling no love for PPPOE right now.

Thanks for the feedback on 10.0. I'll do some testing with our PPPoE router on Monday.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    Hi folks, testing 10.04beta out and trying to connect with a PPPoE modem. When I try to use the PPPOE setting in Untangle, i just get a "no.enum.const class com.untangle.uvm.network.interface" error, and cannot continue.
    What is the exact error you see?
    Where do you see it?

Can you take a screenshot with your phone?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    What is the exact error you see?
    Where do you see it?

Can you take a screenshot with your phone?
    Sure thing. This is the exact screen where the error message occurs. It is during the initial setup at #3 Internet Connection. The error pops up regardless if trying to hit REFRESH, TEST CONNECTIVITY, or NEXT. I have intentionally moved the error box up to mask my login info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

awesome, that is exactly what we need. thank you!

we'll see if we can replicate. probably just a regression.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

running this command (verbatim) might fix it

Code:
    sudo sed -e 's/"pppoe"/"PPPOE"/' -i /usr/share/untangle/web/setup/script/setup.js
    then flush cache and re-run wizard from scratch.

Master Untangler

Well, that command/flush did fix up the error...... however still did not help to fix the underlying problem of no PPPoE.
    I have also tried 3 combinations of NIC cards to see along with factory resetting, but getting the same result on any of the 3 NIC cards. It almost seems Untangle is not even attempting to communicate with the PPPoE modem (despite a green connection indicator, and LED activities at the back of the NIC). The NIC allows me to connect from another computer to Untangle Internal just fine (it is an Intel quad port). Perhaps I have an incompatible PPPoE modem?

I could probably make it work using my router and then via DHCP, but I really didn't want to get into double NAT and all that. The production environment where the server will go uses ISPs that do not require PPPoE. However, my whole plan was to run the beta at home to get all the configurations just right, and then swap out the existing production environment (Untangle Premium) box later.

ALMOST tempted to upgrade my home PPPoE modem with the newer modems that store the config, but was really hoping it would just work using standard PPPoE and giving the authentication info to the Untangle server.

FWIW, i could not get PPPoE to run on 9.4 either on this same box, although wasn't surprised as it is not recommended to even use PPPoE with 9.4. With 10.0 though, I was hoping for a better result.

well, PPPoE worked, it just didn't work with many features (multi-wan, qos, bandwidth control, etc) so it wasn't recommended at all.
    it did work, so if it doesn't work in 9.4 or 10.0 i would guess something is up with your modem or config.

I would remove your modem from the equation if you can. If you can't (because you don't have rj45 connection) then just make sure all the PPPoE auth in the modem is disabled.

Master Untangler

Thanks, it must be the modem showing its age with new hardware.... Its a speedstream 5360, considered a "dumb modem" with no interface of any kind. It has been working flawless for years at reaching 100% bandwidth limits, and i've paired it with routers running open source like dd-wrt to handle everything. Much preferred to using a gimped ISP router/modem combo.

BUT... in this case obviously it must not play nice with Untangle. Too bad, as it was only to be a temporary home for the new box. I could make it work by using my existing router, but wanted to keep the configuration as close to the current production environment as possible.