Untangler

Default Install Fail on Dell Poweredge R320

Hi,

Nice new Dell PowerEdge R320, install goes fine right up to the point you have to test/configure the network interfaces. There aren't any, and a message pops up and helpfully says install some network cards and try again...

Onboard NIC is Broadcom 5720 Dual Port 1Gb, so am I basically stuffed, or is there anything I can do ?

Thanks.
    Phil.

From a quick Google, the Broadcom 5720 isn't supported in Debian until Wheezy.

So unless you're going to figure out how to compile and insert the appropriate firmware / drivers, I'd get a dual port Intel card install that and pretend the inboard interfaces don't exist.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Stuffed then..., that's what I thought...

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    From a quick Google, the Broadcom 5720 isn't supported in Debian until Wheezy.

So unless you're going to figure out how to compile and insert the appropriate firmware / drivers, I'd get a dual port Intel card install that and pretend the inboard interfaces don't exist.
    OK wil a Intel I350-T2 Ethernet Server Adapter work ?

http://www.dabs.com/products/intel-i...0Adapte&src=16

Thanks.

The I350-T2 adapter, along with the entire I350 family of adapters is supported by the updated IGB kernel module included in Untangle 10.

WARNING!

The i350 like most of the NICs supported by Intel's IGB kernel module driver are designed for low power operation. One of the side effects of this design goal, is these NICs will NOT show link status (they won't light up, Untangle won't reflect a cable plugged in) until the interface is configured and enabled in the operating system. You will NOT be able to figure out what port is what during first boot. You'll need to complete first boot, then set the interfaces to something other than disabled in config -> network. Once you configure them to do something, anything, they'll fire up and work perfectly.

I'm using i350's quite extensively in the field, and have been for some time with great success. They work very well, they just have that small quirk with Untangle 10.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Went for a cheap (20) INTEL Pro/1000 PT Dual Port GIGABIT NIC PCI-E CARD from eBay

Now workign fine, but had to reboot twice before the NIC was properley activated, previous to this the untangle installer could see both ethernet ports, but they would not activate causing an exception when clicking on 'Next' to get past the initial config screen... (note this is a different scenario from the one described above)