Untanglit

Default Router or transparent bridge?

Hello,

I have an installed system like this:

ADLS router ----- Untangle ---- Internal network

I set Untangle as a transparent bridge, I don't really remember why, and it has worked very well since them.

But now I want to activate OpenVPN and, according to what I have read, it can work with a transparent bridge but it is far from ideal.

Would the Untangle work as a 'router' with my setup?

Thanks.

Untangle Ninja

If you continue to use it in bridge you will need some routes in your ADSL router pointing to Untangle for the OpenVPN address pool.

Most ADSL routers has a setting that turns them in to a ADSL modem.
    Then you can turn your UT in to Router mode.

Both setups works so it is up to what you like :-)

Router mode! let untangle shine at what it is best at!
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untanglit

Think of UPNP/SSDP - whether you need it or not. I'd stick with bridged mode. Keep Untangle in stealth mode and not shining, you don't need it to attract unwanted attention, that's what security is about :-)

How would untangle attract unwanted attention vs his ADSL router, if he gets attention i would rather untangle directly protecting my network vs an ADSL all in one router.

And who ever is giving the attention wont know what is on the other end anyways unless he allows external admin on and leaves the default port.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Untangle 10's improved PPPoE support enables it to be an effective DSL router. Sometimes however, it's best to leave the DSL router alone, as the ISP knows how to support it better. Untangle is no more or less secure as a router or a bridge, and is far more secure than use of any branded SOHO device. Why? Simple, no default logins to worry about changing, no remote administration possible unless configured.

To date I know of no compromised Untangle installations that weren't perpetrated by one of two things:

1.) Enabled but unsecured SSH
    2.) Poor password on the Admin login.

I prefer Untangle routers, because bridge mode isn't really a bridge, and in some use cases they can be quite a challenge to predict. Router is far more consistent in the way it behaves. Both however, have their place. I simply prefer to manage as few devices as possible.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Can untangle 10.1 handle the ppoe from most adsl providers - other version I was told not to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    If you continue to use it in bridge you will need some routes in your ADSL router pointing to Untangle for the OpenVPN address pool.

Most ADSL routers has a setting that turns them in to a ADSL modem.
    Then you can turn your UT in to Router mode.

Both setups works so it is up to what you like :-)

Untanglit

I would rather have my ADSL modem in bridge mode and let untangle do the rest

Quote Originally Posted by HopeRadio View Post
    Can untangle 10.1 handle the ppoe from most adsl providers - other version I was told not to do this?
    While PPPoE seems to have various ISP favors, the new networking layer in 10.x has far more compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

So is it encouraged or discouraged to allow Untangle to do the PPPOE?