Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    However, if you're slowing down sending queues, you don't have enough hardware for your Untangle. Spam Blocker requires a significant hardware investment, it's the most expensive module to operate.
    In my situation the hardware was definitely powerful enough and I turned off Spam Blocker Lite and Phish Blocker but it didn't help either. It was a strange problem.

/etc/init.d/untangle-vm stop

Run performance tests, if you've still got problems your hardware has issues. That command shuts off the Untangle software, and turns the Untangle server into little more than a Linksys router.

/etc/init.d/untangle-vm start to bring the filters back.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hey all,

I am experiencing the same exact problem. Client was running v9.x no problem and all was running great. We upgraded them to 10.2 and now all these email delay or failure to deliver issues come out, more specifically most emails with attachments. Both inbound and outbound have been affected. BTW, running Exchange 2007. I just created the bypass rule for outbound, so we will see how that goes, but does anyone else have some insight as to the cause of this issue and what the proper fix would be? How can I download v9 again?

Bypass for egress SMTP shouldn't be required for v10 and v11 servers.

You're doing something to cause this, do you have Intrusion Prevention installed?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Shield?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

That is possible, but I would consider it unlikely. I haven't seen shield in any of its incarnations interfere with SMTP since version 7!
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Hey Everyone,

Well I created a bypass rule for the Exchange server, Outbound, and this seemed to work for about 2 weeks and now the delay issues have returned. I do have Intrusion Prevention installed, but I don't see how that effects Outbound, but than again I don't know anything about it. I am planning on going in to install V.9 as I am stuck.

Also just throwing this out there...I upgraded my V.9 to 10 and I started to get the same email delay issues as well. I went back to 9 and all is good.

Don't run on v9, it's dead. It's not helping. And it's not the version that's causing the problem, it's something you're doing with the configuration.

You could have an underpowered box, you could have your connectors configured wrong, you could have anything. If I've learned anything about Exchange in the last week of nightmares with it, it's that they're always configured poorly.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Well, not sure where to go from here. The system is a 3.4GHz Intel Quad with 4GB RAM. Both NICs are Intel Pro 100/1000 units. Very simple configuration. Spam Blocker Lite, Ad Blocker, Firewall, Intrusion Prevention, Web Blocker Lite. All are in default configuration except Spam Blocker Lite, just had to bump up the filtering as spam was still getting through. Eth0 has public Static IP, Eth1 has private IP. Port Forwards for necessary ports. Firewall rule to block all outbound SMTP except for Exchange. That's it.

I don't think it is Exchange because I set it up and I have done over 50 of them over the past decade. If I put a crappy router in place of the Untangle unit, emails flow without any issues. I have also test with my crappy Atom 2GB Untangle v.9 test unit and it works fine there too. Others have also complained about v.10/11 with email problems, so I am not the only one.

Have you looked at the SMTP log to determine why the messages are stuck in the queue?

That crappy router isn't doing as much, and also has simpler configuration. I'm not saying Untangle isn't misconfigured, but I am saying I can't help you if you don't dig into it. How many e-mails / day is that system seeing?

Typically in my experience send delays with Exchange is due to a DNS problem. What is Exchange using for External DNS? And don't tell me what's on the NIC card, tell me what your hub / edge transport role is configured to specifically use.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast