Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Untangler

Client only sees about 75 emails a day in and out. The server is configured to use the ISPs DNS servers, Reverse DNS is created to match the Static IP to the smtp banner. The hard part about checking the logs is that the client tells me hours after and when I check the queue, it is gone. I will monitor the logs and have the client send an email that they know will get delayed

Untangler

ok, the emails returned to normal, for a week, but now they get no emails at all. SMTP test by mxtoolbox.com works fine, but they are receiving no emails at all. Internal emails work fine. I think I will just have to rebuild with older version unless anyone else has any ideas.

And your SMTP logs say?

What's your domain? Because honestly, a simple telnet test of your SMTP will likely give you your answer.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I haven't checked the logs on the server or telnet, from within the network however external telnet is not successful. Spam blocker log on the server shows no emails after 11:23pm on 11/20.

Untangler

sky-knight,

thank you for the tips, I think I discovered the issue. The exchange database and queue sit on the servers primary drive and it got very low on space, less then 750MB, and I am assuming the Exchange 2007 back pressure settings stopped inbound mail flow. Discovered this by running a telnet session, from within the local network and got the 452 insufficient resources error. I am currently freeing up space and moving the database to another volume, fingers crossed. Funny thing, I looked at the primary drive a month ago and there was over 30GB of space free, just looked again and noticed a new folder "picture and music backup" that was just over 30 GB in size created that day by the business owner, I think she will get a nice friendly email from me on Monday.

UPDATE - Well freeing up space on the primary drive, fixed the telnet error, I can now telnet to the server from any computer on the LAN, still no dice from outside. All email outbound works fine( which wasn't an issue before). Inbound/Outbound emails within domain work fine. MXToolbox.com says that SMTP is good and got all green checks, whatsmyip.org says that port 25 is open. Really am stumped, are my emails disappearing before they even hit the network?

In Untangle interface, Show Sessions, shows no inbound port 25 and Spam Blocker shows no inbound email activity. Just FYI,

Ext. Domain: nuevacastilla.com
    Mail Server: remote.nuevacastilla.com
    Last edited by Elco69; 11-23-2014 at 03:39 PM.

I had an Exchange 2007 box do this to me this week!

The default path for the transport DB is in the Exchange installation folder. Which is on the C drive of the affected equipment. That particular server is also a DC, so when the recent kerberos issue popped up I patched it. C:\windows\softwaredistribution got too big, drug me below 500mb of free space and SPLAT, that insufficient resources error. Which, I've never seen before. And, most infuriatingly, the service is ACTIVE so port probes see it as working, and the server is online so logging into OWA or using Outlook worked. None of my monitors saw that condition, and only the telnet test revealed it.

Anyway, my server is still happy 48 hours later. So yours should be fine too.

For information purposes:

Exchange 2007 needs 4gb of space on the volume that houses the transport database.
    Exchange 2007 sp1 needs 500mb of space.

So hopefully you're on SP3, and the most recent update rollup, and you'll only need 500mb.

Here is the article I used to fix my server last week: http://exchangepedia.com/2007/03/exc...resources.html
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-23-2014 at 03:43 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Just another quick note, senders do not get any bounce back messages.

No... no they don't, a situation that's caused a giant mess. Because my server was flat not receiving for almost 18 hours before a user asked me what was up because he hadn't gotten any mail.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Well, it turns out to be the Untangle software, I replaced it with a basic Linksys router and emails are flowing again. I will just have to rebuild with the older 9.x build as I have been having issues with the new version. Thanks you all for your help

Update - 9.x is running great! Emails are moving quickly both in/out, all the delay issue on the original post are gone.
    Last edited by Elco69; 11-24-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123