Just to verify the steps.
    Select Language: English
    Keyboard: American English
    Start time 9:07
    Clock: Pacific
    Total memory: great
    Processor speed: great
    Proceed and Format: Yes
    Partitioning disks,Install Base System,Configurign package manager,missed this one ,select and install software, Installing GRUB, Finishing Install, Installation complete.
    Take disk out and continue
    9:41

Untangle Loading

Untangle window comes up with 5 options 'Launch Client', 'Reboot', 'Shutdown', 'Recovery Utilities', 'Terminal'.

Launch Client brings up the 'Iceweasel' window with the message 'Service Unavailable'.

I don't know what to do.

I am not connected to the internet for this process.

Thanks
    John Wall

Untanglit

Sorry Jim
    I though I was staying on topic with the original post about the 'Service Unavailable'. Should I start a new one?
    John

Is connected to the Internet?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Hello jcoffin

No, it is not connected to the internet.

John Wall

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWall View Post
    Sorry Jim
    I though I was staying on topic with the original post about the 'Service Unavailable'. Should I start a new one?
    John
    At this point, no (I am not confused anymore

It would be a good idea to contact support (even for a Lite install). Untangle really does expect to be connected to the Internet for the install however, (that is what the package manager needs) and to download modules.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untanglit

Hi Jim
    When I re-loaded version 9 (a couple days ago) it went through a wizard asking about static or DHCP IPs, gateways and DNS servers. Once these were all correct, it did connect to the internet. When I loaded version 10 last spring, it went through this same procedure and did not recognize any of my NICs so I could not connect to the internet. Untangle support told me at the time that 3rd party vendors were responsible for that part of the code, not Untangle. By loading V11 I was hoping it would recognize a couple of the NICs (I have 3 different ones in play) or have updated support from the vendors. The big difference now is that V11 did not get to the wizard and ask about IPs, gateways or DNS servers whereas V10 did at least ask about them.

By the way, I did read the entire link you included 'I got Grumpy'. Very informative, and very true. I have spent a lot of time looking for the answer to my problem and the best I could come up with is this thread with 'Service Unavailable' in the topic. Interestingly enough, on Friday Nov 21 I was on the Untangle site and tried the 'Self-Guided tour' and it also came up with 'Service Unavailable' in red text just like I get. I have since tried it and all looks good. Since then I have re-downloaded V11, re-burned it and still the same result.

I'm trying.
    John Wall

Sound like your hardware might not be supported on Debian Wheezy. I would try the the live boot CD for Debian to see if your hardware is supported.

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

thanks for the effort!

What is the chipset on your NIC's? I have run across some issues where a driver is not automatically installed with UT, due to open-source licensing issues. The drivers may be available, however. I have not yet tried to load v11, myself.

The Intel chipset is recommended, but not immune to issues, at this point.

Can you give us a complete description of your hardware? the live CD would also provide valuable troubleshooting information.

I will download v11 over the holiday myself (if the family allows

Untanglit

Hi Jim
    One of the Chipsets is a FUN-JIN GT24-03SG (4 port) which Startech tells me is really a Realtec 8111C chipset. They also told me it has been tested (and works) with the Linux kernal up to 3.5 and the latest Dedian Wheezy listed is 3.2. (I'll take their word for it)

The other NIC is an Intel GB CT, part number EXPI9301CTBLK (single port, I have and need 4 of them).

The 3rd NIC is a Atheros AR8151 which is on the motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3) I looks like this is not supported by Linux and drivers need to be downloaded. I can live without this NIC.

I was able to download the live CD and have been able to boot up the box with it. Next problem is that I know nothing about Linux but do have some vague recollection of DOS. I have found the basic line commands and will try working through it.

John

Disable the on-board adapter and install the Intel NICs. Does it fit? what kind of machine is that? also, what do you expect your network to look like? I am thinking you might need a switch.

it is probably best to scrap the realteks (for UT).

you are going to want to look at the logs, and I can't call them out by name. The installer will go into verbose mode if you hit escape while booting? (I think)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast