Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Untanglit

Hi Jim
    I re-fired the CD live again this morning in the graphics mode and it recognized the onboard nic as well as the Intel nics. At this point I had to assign a static IP, gateway, (this is the DHCP server) DNS, user names and passwords and then it downloaded more data from a mirror. It then loaded the GRUB boot loader and master boot record.

I am now connected to the internet and can ping 8.8.8.8. But what is next? If I re-load untangle, will it not just wipe everything out and I'm back to square one? I have been looking for a way to download just the untangle suite and not the .iso and don't see any way.

John

Untangle is its own distribution, you have to download and install it as a full OS. There's no other supported way to install the software. What liveCD are you using? Untangle doesn't have a live CD, there's simply an installation CD.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

@Rob:

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Sound like your hardware might not be supported on Debian Wheezy. I would try the the live boot CD for Debian to see if your hardware is supported.

https://www.debian.org/CD/live/
    yeah, what Rob said. You have proven the hardware to be compatible. Now Install UT and we'll troubleshoot the logs. Hit escape and you can keep an eye things as it sets up.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untanglit

Will do. Unfortunately I'm booked for the day, but will get at it tonight or in the morning.

Have a good weekend. I'll be slaving away here in Canada.

Untanglit

Hello Jim
    It took me a while to get back to this, but I got a few hours in last night and again this morning.

The result is not what I wanted.

It went through the load process and stopped on the 'Select and install Software'. I have tried re-installing the software, re-installing the .iso from scratch, detect network devices etc. It sure looks to me that the Untangle .iso is not at complete as the Debian live CD. I am working with the 32 but version and would doubt the 64 bit would be any different, but will try it.

Can you connect cables from all of the UT box interfaces and into a switch (with internet) for that part? see which one has traffic and unplug the other two. On second thought, that could get ugly because of DHCP. It would be better to connect a machine to find which ports serve DHCP. Plug in the other one so it can get internet access.

I am thinking it is trying to phone home at that point..
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 12-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Untanglit

Will do. Loading 64 bit version now. Not expecting any surprises but figured why not. I'll get on this as soon as the load finishes. It did appear to not pick up any nics when it jumped to partitioning disks.

Untangle Ninja

This is confusing me.

I'm not sure if you've completely installed Untangle or not, I think it'll install even if you don't have nics installed.

I just pulled an unused v9 box and installed v11 offline, no cables connected, the installer runs, installs with the basic questions, keyboard, timezone, etc, overwrites the drive and kicks the disk asking for reboot, after reboot it runs the wizard, set the timezone and run through the rest of the options leaving them unchanged, it'll set a default config on the internal nic if you select router and that's it, then it loads the operating panel.
    At this point you have a running install and can go to config - network, see if all your interfaces are available and setup your router, I would assume you'll want to connect a network at that point...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWall View Post
    It went through the load process and stopped on the 'Select and install Software'.
    I haven't done an install recently, but I took this to mean rack modules. a screen shot might clear up my confusion.

Some NICs won't show green lights for status, even though they work. This is due to non-free firmware not included in the distribution. My experience was with e100.
    (ref this article) It makes it difficult to do the network config at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    I haven't done an install recently, but I took this to mean rack modules. a screen shot might clear up my confusion.

Some NICs won't show green lights for status, even though they work. This is due to non-free firmware not included in the distribution. My experience was with e100.
    oops. got a V11 install in on a HP Proliant server tonight. Install completed, but the Kiosk did not start, (a topic for another thread).
    However the select & install software with the green bar fuel gauge is definitely from the CD, no ethernet activity. My theory was wrong, sorry for the blathering.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast