Default Black monitor screen (signal lose) after successful install of 11.1

After installing 11.1 the system boots correctly with no issues except right after the menu list the monitor looses a signal and is not able to display the splash screen of Untangle. The same network appliance works fine with 10.0 and no display issues so there is something different between the versions. I can login remotely to manage the via HTTP on the local LAN with no issues. The appliance has the following video controller information when I run lspci. The integrated adapter has a DVI and VGA port and the monitor I am using has a max resolutions of 1280 x 1024.

[root @ fw] ~ # lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom Processor D2xxx/N2xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)

I have worked around the display issue by adding the following to the menu.lst file for the default menu selected on boot:
    video=LSVD-1:d

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 3.2.0-4-untangle-686-pae
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-untangle-686-pae root=UUID=83a2642d-5c5e-4bee-b2f1-e358e47f19a7 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off screen=1024x768 nomce nodhcp nofstab panic=5 vga=791 quiet splash nomodeset video=LVDS-1:d
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-4-untangle-686-pae
    savedefault

Does anyone have a clear explanation of what video-LSVD-1:d is disabling at the video level that is allowing this entry to work?

Thanks.

Of course there's something different, it's an entirely different kernel, and operating system.

There are several different options in the grub menu that affect how Untangle handles video, I suggest trying those before you modify the system.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I had already tried the the other menu options which rendered the same results before adding that option to the kernel line but I do appreciate your input.

Does anyone have a clear explanation of what video-LSVD-1:d is disabling at the video level that is allowing this entry to work?

Thanks

It's something specific to some Intel integrated controllers, from what I see via Google it's disabling the second head on the video.
    NexgenAppliances.com

You are on the right track sky-knight. I was able to determine on this specific board there is a 24bpp dual-channel LVDS connector integrated on the board but it does not have any external connectors. I am looking to see if there is physical jumper to disable it as there is no option in BIOS. So what is happening is the kernel default video is defaulting to LVDS which causes the issue I have reported. The video=LVDS-1:d parameter is disabling LVDS-1 (connector 1) which defaults it back to VGA and explains why VGA works with this kernel parameter. At least my interpretation of the issue. Thanks for your input again.

Yeah, and it looks like you'll have to edit grub to boot like that all the time. I'm not sure Untangle is ever going to get into the game of platform specific video changes.

The funny part is you're having trouble because Debian Wheezy has a driver for your card, Squeeze didn't.

Just for comparison:

Untangle 9.x = Debian Lenny (5)
    Untangle 10.x = Debian Squeeze (6)
    Untangle 11.x = Debian Wheezy (7)

There have been a ton of driver changes in the last three major upgrades. So hardware compatibility has been all over the map for self built boxes. For the most part newer is better... until it isn't.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 04-06-2015 at 02:47 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com