Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle Lite ubuntu network interface issue

Intel 31 Express motherboard with additional Intel Desktop pro NIC

Ubuntu 8.04LTS installed then patched.

Installed Untangle lite. Did not load Untangle kernal after reboot.

Moved Untangle entries to top of menu.lst file to fix that. Did wizard setup.

Untangle works until reboot. Then I have to run untangle client from ubuntu desktop. Go to networking config and click save. Then it works again until reboot.

I have traced the problem to the Internal static interface.( 192.168.101.1)

When I look at the NIC using Ubuntu there are no settings until I click save in the network config in Untangle client.

Below is the ping diagnostic form my PC to untangle box.

Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms Start Untangle Reboot
    Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms
    No reply Server turns off
    No reply Bios posting
    No reply Starts loading ubuntu
    Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms Kernal TCP/IP stack
    Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms loads OK
    No reply Untangle loads
    No reply
    No reply
    Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms: I click save in network
    Reply from 192.168.101.1: xxxxxxx time<1ms: config in untangle client

The static IP is there and is correct in the untangle config I just click the save button.

Hello Hulk, have you resolved this issue already? I am experiencing the same thing. I have Ubuntu 8.04 and UT 5.3

It was tested on Gutsy. And since I was the tester, and I still have issues with Hardy in production, I recommend Gutsy. For more of my opinion of Hardy see the ubuntuforums, and launchpad under houstonbofh. Right now Hardy has 3 showstoppers keeping me from migrating 30+ boxes. At this point, Intrepid has only addressed one. (The kernel, which is a big one)

Default Hardy

I have the same issue with a Nagios install on Hardy. Nagios does not have any GUI or wizard interfaces, so the static setting is all up to me. Every time I reboot it sets back to dhcp.

I think the solution is going to be hand editing the /etc/interfaces file for each static address on each nic. I have not fixed the issue yet. I have been concentrating on getting Nagios finished - this is just a small issue for me at the moment - I just don't reboot.

From what I have seen, it looks like the desktop GUI in Hardy does not properly edit the interfaces file, so when it reads it on boot up, the config didn't stick. Next week when I get back in the office, I will attempt a hand edit and post my results back here.

well i think i have the same problem (take a look over on THIS post).

I installed Gutsy (7.1) and then upgraded the kernel with apt-get.

As of this moment ive re-installed ubuntu (back to 7.1) and installing the install53.sh script without upgrading the kernel.

i can confirm that i still have the same problem as the original poster. pinging my untangle box results in the same action.

this is with a fresh install of ubuntu 7.1, running install53.sh, running the config wizard and thats it.

Why is this such a problem?!

When I tested, I did upgrade the kernel. It could be that... Durring install of the script, did you do anything else off default?

Default Partial Fix

Ok, I have had a little time to work with this as I promised. I have most of it working now, and this is what I did.

In /etc/interfaces file, most of the time this is what you will see:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    The network manager will sometimes edit this file for you to bring up interfaces. I edited /etc/interfaces as such:
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 10.104.5.35
    netmask 255.255.0.0
    network 10.104.0.0
    broadcast 10.104.255.255
    [I have an eth0, but it's not being used]

This solves the problem of no config or pulling a dhcp lease on a reboot.

The default route is another issue [it populated with a 169.x.x.x] and this is the part I am still testing. For now I have edited /etc/rc.local as follows:
    Code:
    <snip>
    # By default this script does nothing.
    route add default gateway 10.104.5.253
    exit 0
    If anyone has a better solution, feel free to amend/share.

I've got the same issue and hard coding into /etc/networks/interfaces doesn't do anything to help whatsoever. If I reboot the machine I have to run /etc/init.d/networking restart or else nothing works.

It's quite annoying actually...

I'm about to put a "/etc/init.d/networking restart" in rc.local and pray that it works. A router/firewall that doesn't automatically reconnect on reboot...
    Last edited by KpaBap; 09-14-2008 at 12:56 AM.

I have an identical issue. Installed Ubuntu 8.04 server, installed Untangle. The network devices don't seem to get assigned their ip addresses after a bootup/reboot unless I go into the untangle client, and re-save the network settings from within there. Very annoying!

I see this post has been ongoing for most of this year. Ultimately I need to run a mail server amongst a few other things and I NEED this to be stable! Is this just not a stable system yet? I need to know if anyone is trying to resolve this issue or not so I can determine what I do at this point.

Help!!

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast