Untangler

Default low memory alert every night at 2:00 AM

I've used Untangle for years with no problems. It has always just worked. 2/14/2016 2:00 I started receiving low memory alerts from a clients custom device, quad core, 4gb ram, 500gb hd. I'm NOT an expert! After I restarted the device it behaved until 2:00 am. Restarted it again. worked all day. got the messages again starting at 2:00am. How do i find out what i caused a jump from used 300mb to 3000mb in less than a minute at 2:00 am

HELP!!!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mseedii View Post
    I've used Untangle for years with no problems. It has always just worked. 2/14/2016 2:00 I started receiving low memory alerts from a clients custom device, quad core, 4gb ram, 500gb hd. I'm NOT an expert! After I restarted the device it behaved until 2:00 am. Restarted it again. worked all day. got the messages again starting at 2:00am. How do i find out what i caused a jump from used 300mb to 3000mb in less than a minute at 2:00 am

HELP!!!
    Reports. They're generating, I bet.

Yep, it's temporary while reports is running.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

have you increased the # of days for data retention?
    How old is the box?
    If nothing has been changed, perhaps the hard drive is failing.

Untangler

Default memory low?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yep, it's temporary while reports is running.
    If that's the case shouldn't the system return to normal after the reports have finished generating and why after 160+ days of uninterrupted up time would this suddenly start? I only changed the retention AFTER the errors started happening to see if i could find anything that would point to some activity. I confess I'm not really understanding the reports but I don't see any sudden uptick in disk activity, network activity, or firewall activity. To answer another point, if the hard drive were failing wouldn't the errors be more random and not 2:00 am like clock work?

Reducing your retention doesn't immediately reduce report size. To do that you have to clear the reports data.

The only other explanation is a sudden, massive burst, of heavy traffic. The more packets that fly, the more RAM you need to deal with them. I've only seen a box run out of RAM when it was limited to 2gb and asked to push a gigabit fiber connection.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I doubt it has anything to do with the disk. I wouldn't start swapping parts.
    data retention doesn't effect memory usage.
    First, look and see whats using the memory before cooking up theories.

You can contact support and they can take a look.

If you want to do it yourself you can run 'ps aux --sort rss' on the command line.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It was indeed the reports. I'm not sure how this could happen as I didn't know enough to be able to do it before, but with your suggestion and reading some other entries in the forums I found that ALL the reports were checked, and set to go off at 2:00 am.

root 30453 94.7 30.9 1233268 1091944 ? R 02:00 374:34 python /usr/share/untangle/bin/reporting-generate-reports.py -d 2016-02-25

the entry right above this one is

root 3867 2.3 5.9 2284940 210016 pts/1 Ssl+ Feb24 35:44 /usr/bin/java -Xmx1500m -Xms128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSInc

could you tell me what this is?

Untangler

Hi again. it still is an issue. I have to kill the reports generating every morning. sunday i let it go ALL day and it still was not finished. I keep unchecking reports to run but the memory is still dropping from 3100 MB Free to 190 MB free. How many reports can be run safely?

I would get support involved, it sounds like something has gone wrong with your postgres database.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com