Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Angry

So I have Ubuntu server installed. I installed fluxbox. Ran the updates.

I run install52.sh, and it dies out saying unsupported system type!?!?!? This is after the script verifies ca-certificates, net-tools, mawk, perl, curl, grep, tar & pciutils.

Any ideas?

Untanglit

Unhappy

How can I step through the install52.sh script to see where it is crapping out? In looking at it I can see it verifying the software, but after that I have no idea what it may be doing...it's not a VM install so it is probably crashing after that - but I can not be sure as I do not know where in the script it is crashing.

Thanks.

Untanglit

And here I was dutifully following the Wiki instructions.....only to see that the install52.sh script is out of date as it only deals with Hardy.

I can see the sections which would need to be changed, but I have no idea what to do with the other sections of the script that have to do with Hardy.

Can the script be updated? Can someone tell me how to bring the script up to date?

Thanks.

Untanglit

Does anyone know of a source for Hardy that is not corrupted? I have downloaded it from two different locations and every one fails to install and fails the md5 check.

Of course, if I could get a response about the script not working on the latest Ubuntu (which the Wiki links to) that would mean (hopefully) that I dont have to wipe Intrepid for Hardy.

Untanglit

OK, so now that both downloads from France & Italy for Hardy were bad, could someone, anyone, PLEASE update the install52.sh script for Intrepid? Or tell me what changes I need to make to it so that it works on Intrepid?

Anyone?

Untanglit

Default HP/Compaq ProLiant DL360, DL380, etc.

Hello.

I have had many a problem getting the Untangle installers (both scripted and ISOs) to work with the HP/Compaq ProLiant server line. Eventually after much research, I was able to successfully install some instances of UT. Here are some of the specifics for my ongoing efforts.

First off, HP/Compaq SmartArray controller support in many Linux distros is horrible! Other remarks in these forums have alluded to poor SCSI support in general, but most UT problems I have had on the ProLiant server line are RAID controller related.

On the Compaq ProLiant DL360 G1 (1U rackmount form factor) I found that UT would NOT install from the v5.21 ISOs automated installer period. My next step was to try native installs of Debian v40r3 and Ubuntu v8.04... While Debian & UT seemed largely unstable, I was finally successful with the combo of Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and the UT scripted installation.

Also, make sure you run the Firmware Updates CD (v7.5 for these) and SmartStart (v5.5 for these) to configure the hardware sub-system before you try installing UT. It's absolutely necessary to configure the RAID Array.

When I moved onto the Compaq ProLiant DL380 G1 (3U form factor) server, I found the installation success relied on which RAID controller was installed in the machine. Unlike the 1U DL360s, this server does NOT have an integrated SmartArray adapter, so you can swap out the traditional 2DH/2P/3200 for something compatible such as the 4200 or 5300 series. (yes the 64bit card will work in the 32bit slot... just much... much slower.)

Instead of the G1s, I suggest using a Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 (2U form factor) These servers will work natively using the UT v5.21 ISO installers with a couple of tweaks.

Before we begin, Run the Firmware Update CD (v7.5 for these) and the SmartStart (v7.7 for these) to configure the hardware sub-system... most importantly: the RAID controller. Also, at boot-time... hit the F9 key when prompted and use the Advanced Configurations Screen the set the OS type to: "Windows 2000 / Windows .NET" You can also set Wake-on-LAN settings, PXE, etc. from within here as well.

Once the DL380 G2 is configured, use the UT v5.21 CD ISO to perform a native installation of the UT suite. During the initial install you will get one error regarding the: "SWAP CHOICES" settings, ignore it and press OK. After the file copy completes and the system reboots itself, the real fun begins.

First, at the grub boot loader... Immediately press the "e" key so you can make changes to the kernel line. Remove root=UUID...blah blah and replace it with: "root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1" and then continue booting the system.

Next, wait for the initial UT bootup screen to fail and drop you to a generic shell. Once you arrive here... You must remount the linux filesystem RW since it defaults to read-only. The command for this task is: "mount -o remount,rw /" If this fails, issue the command "df" to list the drives currently detected by the kernel. If you don't see your logical drive on the RAID array, you improperly entered the changes during the grub boot loader step above.

Moving on, now that you have the filesystem remounted for RW access, edit the two following files... again replacing the entries: "UUID...blah blah" with the RAID array descriptor: "/dev/cciss/c0d0p1"

/etc/fstab ...changing the line to read: "/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 / ext3 defaults,errors=panic 0 1"
    /boot/grub/menu.lst ...changing the line to read: "root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1" Be sure NOT to remove the other data in the files... just REPLACE the UUID garbage only.

Once these two changes have been made and saved, issue the command: "reboot" and the system should power cycle itself and boot directly into UT v5.21 without further difficulty!

Well, that's it! I hope it all helps.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
    Also please forgive the possible spelling errors, it's 2am and I am way too tired for typing...

Thanks!
    Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-13-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untangler

first, just so you know, XP wont even install without having RAID drivers on a floppy ...

second, what might be possible, if ur hell-bent to get it working, is to install
    a linux distro that works on your HP hardware, then install VMServer and install
    UNTANGLE in a virtual machine.

thirdly, i dont understand, why you are putting UNTANLGE on a RAID 5 box? there's
    very little I/O (disk wise) needed for untangle. if you got 2 gigs of ram in there, untangle wont even touch the harddisk after it booted (guessing) ... *shrug*

Untanglit

Default HP/Compaq ProLiant DL360, DL380, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by freeside View Post
    first, just so you know, XP wont even install without having RAID drivers on a floppy ...

second, what might be possible, if ur hell-bent to get it working, is to install
    a linux distro that works on your HP hardware, then install VMServer and install
    UNTANGLE in a virtual machine.

thirdly, i dont understand, why you are putting UNTANLGE on a RAID 5 box? there's
    very little I/O (disk wise) needed for untangle. if you got 2 gigs of ram in there, untangle wont even touch the harddisk after it booted (guessing) ... *shrug*

Hello.

While I may be a newbie with regards to the UT product itself, I am a veteran of the Network Administration and Computing Security realms. If I may Sorikan, please let me respond to Freeside's inquiry and hopefully put the confusion on this issue to bed.

First off, Not that I want to put words into Sorikan's mouth, but in post #6 he references the "high priority position" such a software device like UT would have to occupy on an enterprise LAN/WAN. His situation is probably similar to mine in that we are responsible for HIPAA Medical, Secured Envelope Military, or Commercial Enterprise computing environments. Not only is a measure of perimeter security mandated, so is a higher level of 'redundancy.'

At the hardware level, Redundant memory, Power Supplies, Cooling Fans, Processors, and the afore mentioned RAID5 Array... all serve to prevent 'downtime' following the inevitable hardware failures. Especially where the hard drives are concerned... Having the most moving parts of all the other components listed, they are the most likely to suffer eventual failure at the hands of time.

At the LAN/WAN level, one-and-one redundancy, round-robin, and clustering solutions all serve to prevent down time at the network perimeter. In many commercial environments, failures of perimeter hardware have have serious real-world cost consequences.

For example, when I was at Boeing, I saw a network go down that was costing the company over $10,000 per hour because several airline companies depended on, and paid for 24/7 access to a particular software application located on it.

So it's not about UTs capabilities, strengths or weaknesses... It's about our redundant network architecture requirements, and failure-prevention mandates at the hands of upper management.

Thank you for your participation in the forums,
    And thank you for playing!

Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-13-2008 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untanglit

Mkrzyzan, thank you for both replies! And you are correct about the reasons for the (older) but still highly redundant hardware, as this is a fifty lawyer law firm.

I am trying to install Hardy on the HP, however I have not been able to download a single good copy! Every download of Hardy is corrupted in the packages, and so obviously will not install.

Do you, or does anyone else, know where there is an un-corrupted copy of Hardy?

Thanks,
    Sori

Untangler

Sorikan,

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I tried the installation after not getting the UT .iso to work. That didn't work either, so I gave up and went to eBox.

Chris

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast