Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by Sorikan View Post
    Mkrzyzan, thank you for both replies! And you are correct about the reasons for the (older) but still highly redundant hardware, as this is a fifty lawyer law firm.

I am trying to install Hardy on the HP, however I have not been able to download a single good copy! Every download of Hardy is corrupted in the packages, and so obviously will not install.

Do you, or does anyone else, know where there is an un-corrupted copy of Hardy?

Thanks,
    Sori

Hello.

I will have to review my notes and locate the links I used to obtain Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian v40r3... If those prove to be dead links, I can always push the ISO to the KCS depot server and provide you with a link. I will get back with you after work today.

By the way, what is the specific HP/Compaq hardware platform and generation on which you are trying to install UT (version?) I would like to replicate your configuration here so I can follow along while we work this.

Thanks,
    Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-14-2008 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untanglit

As far as I can tell, I have everything up to date.

The System:
    DL380 G2
    Bios 05/01/2004
    2Gig Ram
    2x1.4Ghz P3's

SmartArray 5i Controller
    6x18.2G 10K drives in a RAID5 with hot spare
    32MG on controller V2.66

Dual power supplies

Issue: I can install Intrepid - but the 5.2 install script will not install on Intrepid(of course) and no one has or will update it, apparently.

I can NOT install Hardy as EVERY image I download and burn on multiple computers from multiple sites fails with bad packages. If I check the ISO MD5 against the mirror sites MD5 hashes it checks out - which makes sense since they are all broken.

I can NOT install Untangle 5.21 as when it boots off the CD I get SQUASHFS errors all over the place, and then a kernel panic.

I CAN install Windows Server 2003, Ubuntu Intrepid & IPCOP on the same system, with cd's burned from the same laptop.

Go with Gutsy. There are a few issues you can avoid that way, like the Policy Kit nightmare. Also, the server kernel and the desktop kernel are different, so install a gutsy desktop. Then you can ssh in and disable the GDM to keep the GUI out of the way when not in use. For the record, I was one of the upgrade script testers. I did it with Gutsy 32 bit Gnome desktop, as that is the most "standard" version. While Hardy is out, I have only put it on 2 systems, and I have major issues with them. The rest of my systems (about 30 or so) are frozen on Gutsy. Your problems are not a real surprise to me... However, I have solid images if you really want them. They are not .1, however...

As to Intrepid... That is still in a highly beta state. It would be pointless to support it, as it will change many times between now and release. Untangle makes some major changes, and Intrepid would break it even more often that it just breaks Intrepid!

Why not just buy 2 of these guys http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=3984 ? they're very inexpensive. This way you can install with the iso from Untangle, configure both server's with the same settings, and if one goes down you can swap in the standby and restore the configuration from the latest backup and be up and running in no time at all.

Even with all the redundancy on server's they still have single point's of failure... like when the raid controller card craps out... raid5 doesn't do much when the controller burns out.
    Mac - for graphics
    Linux - for Servers
    Windows- for solitare

Untanglit

Default Usage of non-contract, non-HP, hardware in an Enterprise environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron7904 View Post
    Why not just buy 2 of these guys http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=3984 ? they're very inexpensive. This way you can install with the iso from Untangle, configure both server's with the same settings, and if one goes down you can swap in the standby and restore the configuration from the latest backup and be up and running in no time at all.

Even with all the redundancy on server's they still have single point's of failure... like when the raid controller card craps out... raid5 doesn't do much when the controller burns out.

Hello.

Please refer to my post in this thread, #18. In most high-availability, network operation centers (NOCs) you will not find any Dell equipment. There is a simple reason for this, historical relationships with DEC, then Compaq, now HP.

In many cases, large-scale corporate or military entities have had long standing relationships with what started as Digital Equipment Corporation, then purchased by Compaq Corp, and now finally Hewlett Packard. Because of these relationships, upper-management teams have frequently mandated the use of and rely upon HP support contracts for hardware maintenance and management. These contracts in essence 'outsource' internal systems maintenance (at the hardware level) to HP.

Bringing in Dell equipment would obviously not be covered by any such contract, and could even be prohibited by the language of the contract with HP... depending on the type of Premier or Enterprise contract in place.

And a footnote. You are fully correct on the RAID controller issue, in the event of a failure. However, as discussed previously, controllers have no moving parts. Of all components in question, HDs are the most fault-intolerant. That is, specifically, what we are trying to mitigate.

In summary, technology wise... Dell is probably a functional choice.
    Corporate policy, politics, economics, etc... not so good.

Thank You,

Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-15-2008 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untanglit

Default UT v5.21: Supported on HP/Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 (with three tweaks.)

The System:
    DL380 G2
    Bios 05/01/2004
    2Gig Ram
    2x1.4Ghz P3's

SmartArray 5i Controller
    32MG on controller V2.66

Dual power supplies

Issue: I can install Intrepid - but the 5.2 install script will not install on Intrepid(of course) and no one has or will update it, apparently.

I can NOT install Hardy as EVERY image I download and burn on multiple computers from multiple sites fails with bad packages. If I check the ISO MD5 against the mirror sites MD5 hashes it checks out - which makes sense since they are all broken.

I can NOT install Untangle 5.21 as when it boots off the CD I get SQUASHFS errors all over the place, and then a kernel panic.

I CAN install Windows Server 2003, Ubuntu Intrepid & IPCOP on the same system, with cd's burned from the same laptop.

Hello.

Sorikan: I have already validated the hardware platform you specified in thread-post #22. I successfully completed an installation of UT v5.21 from the native bootable ISO installer WITHOUT the need for a pre-installation of Debian or Ubuntu.

I do however, remember experiencing the same problem you indicated the very first time I tried to install UT. I found that ISOs burned with Fedora Linux failed as you indicated... While CDs burned via Easy CD Creator 5.2 on Windows XP Pro worked correctly.

How are you making your CDs? Perhaps try another burn?

If your willing, please refer to my post in this thread, #16. I have outlined the methods necessary to successfully install a native ISO-based image on an HP/Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 Server. If you find these instructions insufficient or flawed for your deployment, Please post the specific error and the specific step at which it is presented. Unless, of course, its the same as above (again) and I will then try to replicate the error in our on-site lab here.

Also, I tested this again tonight before issuing this post and for the third time... success. If you would like, I can: (a) burn another CD, (b) validate it can successfully install a native image as discussed previously, then (c) mail it to you. For that matter, I could send you a server as well considering I have about fifty of these that have been retired and are now off-contract.

Thank You.

Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-15-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untanglit

Default Validated functionality for HP/Compaq ProLiant DL server series.

Hello all.

I have now validated that an HP ProLiant DL380 G3 will take a native installation of UT v5.21 from the bootable ISO image. I again had to follow the tweaks discussed previously in this forum to get the RAID array detected and corresponding logical drives mounted properly. Although the version of VI in native-UT is definitely a bit more grumpy than that of Fedora Core...

Summary:

Tested & working with native UT via ISOs (with tweaks)
    Compaq ProLiant DL380 G2 Server (2U form-factor)
    HP ProLiant DL380 G3 Server (2U form-factor)

Tested & working with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) pre-install & install52.sh script.
    Compaq ProLiant DL360 G1 Server (1U form-factor)
    Compaq ProLiant 1850R Server (3U form-factor)

Next on the testing plate are the following platforms:
    Compaq ProLiant DL580 G1 (4U form-factor)
    Compaq ProLiant DL380 G1 (3U form-factor) [Got it working once, now cannot replicate.]

HP ProLiant DL380 G4
    HP ProLiant DL380 G5

Are there any more HP/Compaq ProLiant servers people would like tested/validated?
    If so, please post series, revision, and specifications.

Thank You.

Matthew.
    Last edited by mkrzyzan; 07-15-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling Corrections

Untangler

Thanks for the offer! I have a DL360 G3 with the newest available firmware flashes installed. I know that the plain old install does not work and have not had the time to do the special patched version.
    It would be great if you could verify that if I do it right, that this server will actually work for me!
    Thanks,
    GR

Untanglit

Default Verified UT v5.21 compatibility with HP ProLiant DL380 G3

Quote Originally Posted by greif View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I have a DL360 G3 with the newest available firmware flashes installed. I know that the plain old install does not work and have not had the time to do the special patched version.
    It would be great if you could verify that if I do it right, that this server will actually work for me!
    Thanks,
    GR

Hello.

If you refer to the previous post, #16, in this thread, I have outlined the necessary steps to successfully install a native-ISO image of UT v5.21 on this platform. Also, I have listed the systems I have verified in post #27 of this thread... G3 DL380's are listed as supported.

Please let me know if you require further details.

Thank You.

Matthew.

Untanglit

Default Stable ISOs for Ubuntu 8.04 & Debian v40r3

The System:
    DL380 G2
    Bios 05/01/2004
    2Gig Ram
    2x1.4Ghz P3's

SmartArray 5i Controller
    32MG on controller V2.66

Dual power supplies

Hello.

Sorikan: I have located the Ubuntu and Debian ISOs we discussed previously. How would you like me to get these disc images over to you?

Matthew.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast