Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Unhappy Untangle + HP DL380 = Please Wait (Forever)

I have the latest version of Untangle burned to a disk, I can then boot off of the disk, get an Untangle screen that simply says "please wait" under the untangle logo. Forever. Or at least for more time then I have given it. Should I see hard disk activity? Is it doing a really long discovery process?

The machine is an HP DL380 dual P3 1.4Ghz with 2G RAM W/ RAID 5 and dual power supplies.

For giggles I set the BIOS to Linux, with no change. I changed out the USB keyboard for a standard keyboard. no change. I can boot off of a Windows Server disk and install it, no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Sorikan

hit esc and see what the text says.
    more than likely that hardware config isn't supported
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

This thread is supposed to have a solution; please let us know if it works for you!
    gr

http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=816

This thread also has solutions;
    http://forums.untangle.com/showthrea...t=dl360&page=2
    Last edited by greif; 06-19-2008 at 10:53 AM.

Untanglit

Angry

I am getting SQUASHFS errors (unable to read page) Any ideas?

Also, if this product really does have issues with SCSI - then I do not understand how you can even contemplate going after businesses with more then five employees!

SQUASHFS error: unable to read page, block 2c9e521, size 714e

Thanks

SCSI and RAID support in Linux has always been limited. Also, branded HP/Compaq RAID/SCSI/whatever controllers have been problematic in the linux realm. To get this hardware to function correctly you are more than likely going to have to fight an ubuntu installation on the box and hack in the red hat enterprise driver from HP and then install UT on top.

If you want linux to support your RAID controller directly, always buy Adaptec. And even then, triple check the kernel you're using to verify support. UT is a service that sits ontop of a Linux installation. The precanned distribution can't support every platform on the market. This is why Sonicwall and the rest don't allow you to even know what is going on under the hood, and why all their hardware is controlled. Personally I prefer the open method that UT offers, even if it does mean that I have to take the responsibility of verifying compatibility myself.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

So much for Untangle then. I am sorry to see that this product will not work on commodity HP hardware. I have worked at many different companies and have used HP DL 3XX servers for years in secondary capacities, and it seems to me this is what Linux / UT is built for.

That I am required to build a non-RAID non-hot swap system just to use this product (which would inhabit a high priority position in the company) boggles the mind.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sorikan View Post
    So much for Untangle then. I am sorry to see that this product will not work on commodity HP hardware. I have worked at many different companies and have used HP DL 3XX servers for years in secondary capacities, and it seems to me this is what Linux / UT is built for.

That I am required to build a non-RAID non-hot swap system just to use this product (which would inhabit a high priority position in the company) boggles the mind.
    It should, because that is not the case. Let me make it more clear...

Many RAID cards have issues in Linux. This is a known fact. If you purchase hardware with this in mind, it is less of an issue... But even still, it is a issue that can be worked around.

Now the question is, are you interested in trying? Compaq has literally hundreds of RAIS cards that shipped in Proliants, from DAC-960s to house branded Adaptect. And the "Smart" series includes over a dozen cards. Step one is to try a text install of Ubuntu or Debian. If either work out of the box, you can easily install Untangle with a script on the running system. If not, you can still install it, but not use the custom kernel. (May impact performance) Or you can get a supported RAID card from Adaptec, or 3ware, or even some of the known supported Smart series off eBay for very little money. Or you can just use a single drive. After all, what data needs the RAID protection? The config is easily backed up, and the possible SPAM is mostly junk.

Or buy a sealed package. I got an old Pix I can sell ya cheap.

Untanglit

Unhappy

Why does IPCOP install without issue then?

But, I will see about installing an OS then running the installation script. I saw that somewhere.....

Untanglit

Is there any way to install Untangle from a USB stick?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorikan View Post
    Why does IPCOP install without issue then?

But, I will see about installing an OS then running the installation script. I saw that somewhere.....
    Different distribution bases have different defaults loaded. I have had systems that would install with Debian, but not Ubuntu, and when you "changed them over" they would fail. But in this case it can just be that the install makes assumptions not true in your case.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast