Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Question OVA image for VMware default storage size

Hi,
    I'm trying out OVA image for VMware.

OVA is 64bit, Version 12.0.0
    Build: 12.0.0~svn20160324r42743release12.0-1jessie
    Kernel: 3.16.0-4-untangle-amd64

I've accepted all default during "Deploy OVA template".
    VMware shows storage as 81.11G provisioned.
    But when I ran it, untangle only reports Disk 7.92G.

Would it expand to 80G as storage fills up?

I'm new to VMware so I'm not all that sure how their provisioning stuff work.
    I'm thinking I've done something wrong somewhere so if somebody can point me to right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

Thin provisioning doesn't mean small disk to the OS, it means small disk on the hypervisor. There is no change in reported storage in the VM with either provisioning method.

It's my understanding that the OVA uses a small disk. If you want it larger, you'll need to expand the size in VMWare, and use a tool like GParted to grow the partition in the VM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I've hit the same issue.

Why is the OVA using a disk size that is too small for pretty much everyone?

I've had to remove some modules, and drop my logs to 3 days to keep the really annoying alerts about disk space from being emailed to me every hour!

Untangler

Perhaps starting out small then using GParted to extend is easier than reducing it? I don't know I'm guessing.
    But what I can't understand is why provision 80G by default and not use entire provisioned storage.

If you are running out of disk space at 80G you have an issue.
    Its emailing you to know that it has an issue.

Just lowering your retention setting is not going to fix the issue, you have to look and see what is using the space.
    I would contact support.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

But the OVA doesn't allocate 80Gb. It only allocates 7.92Gb

I wonder if it is a typo when the OVA was created? i.e. 8Gb instead of 80Gb?

EDIT: I just checked and it is provisioned as 80Gb. So why does Untangle show only 7.92Gb of storage?
    Last edited by psykix; 04-03-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Untangler

I've raised this with support, as there is either an issue with the OVA, or we are doing something wrong on the install.

The VM is configured with 80GB of storage, but Untangle only reports 7.92GB available. Others are reporting the same issue.

Untangler

I think this is a simple case of having 80G HDD but you only partitioned ~8G to start with.
    So, you really have to use GParted (or something similar) to resize it.
    That is what I'm doing now. I've resized it so that sda1 is now using most of 80G with ~300MB swap (default).
    Only problem I now have is that after I boot untangle it reports swap as 0.
    What am I doing wrong here?

Untangler

Ok, well I managed to trash my VMware installation completely whilst installing a bigger hard drive.

I took the opportunity to do a new install with the OVA and this time I thick provisioned. STILL only shows 7.92GB storage.

No idea what the problem is - but it's pretty frustrating!

You are doing nothing wrong with regards to the swap file. 0 is good. It only uses the swap file if you run out of physical memory.

For the third time, thin vs thick has nothing to do with the partition size of the installed OS.

If you've got VMWare telling you that it has an 80gb drive, and the OS is telling you 7.92GB on the partition the issue is with the OVA, the virtual hard disk was configured improperly and you're going to need to use a tool like Gparted to grow the root filesystem to fit.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast