Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle console doesn't load, root password doesn't work

Some months ago (April?) I noticed the remote GUI interface had changed. Most notable was the addition of a dashboard.

Going to "System | About" and clicking the server tab, it appeared that Untangle had automatically upgraded from version 11 to 12.1. Please refer to system information included below.

I didn't realize there were other problems because I was able to access Untangle apps and system remotely.

Today I discovered I cannot manage the system using monitor, keyboard and mouse directly connected to the Untangle box. When I reboot Untangle, the load progress screen never finishes. I never get to the management GUI.

Using SSH, the root password no longer works.

Question: Is there a way to recover SSH root access?

This is a custom installation with shell scripts and the ability to query the UVM from another server. The root account would allow me to recover scripts and configurations if I have reinstall Untangle.

Thanks in advance for any help, guidance and/or moral support.

-gt

System info:
    Build: 12.1.0~svn20160804r43944release12.1-1jessie
    Kernel: 3.16.0-4-untangle-686-pae
    History: yes (117)
    Reboots: 3 (0)
    Current active device count: 9
    Highest active device count since reboot: 9

Hardware: Dell Dimension 8200, 32-bit
    Original install: version 11, Nov. 2014

Unfortunately this is why warning against changes on the terminal and it would be best to turn off upgrades if the system is modified on the terminal. Try the GUI password on the SSH. Otherwise, hit escape during the splash screen loading to see where is fails. This might also give you terminal console access too.

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

To set the root password again just set the "admin" password to something

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Default Untangle root password recovery (continued..)

To all,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I my defense, all I did was 1) tweak the PostgreSQL config so I could query the database with PGAdminIII from another computer and 2) set up a shell script to copy Untangle firewall configuration files to a windows share. I use the files to post the current firewall configuration on a web report page. All Untangle configuration changes have been done using the web GUI.

I tried the GUI password using SSH without success.

Has anyone used a third party password recovery disk successfully with Untangle?

I am using the remote web connection to export as many configuration files as possible. Once that's done, I'll try another reboot, pressing the escape key during splash screen.

I'm aware of the disclaimer and willing to take my lumps.

Just want to get as much off the old machine as possible before doing a rebuild.

I appreciate any further help and comments.

-gt

To set the root password just set the "admin" password.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

RE: pressing escape at splash and changing Admin password to change root.

To dmorris,

"... changing Admin password ..."

Sorry but I need more specifics.

The only place I can reset the Admin password is in the Web GUI. Nothing else works.

Then I'm not sure what to do after changing the web admin password. What are the steps that will allow me to recover "root" account access through SSH?

To jcoffin,
    "... pressing escape at splash ..."

Tried another shutdown from the web client interface. The web interface loses connection in a few seconds. Again, the Untangle computer did not shut down. After waiting 15 minutes I had to press and hold the power button.

Powered up the machine and pressed escape as splash screen first appears.

The system stalls at "starting untangle VM [..". Everything before that is "ok". When I "escape the splash screen," the good news is that Untangle proceeds eventually to the GUI management screen. I've done this twice.

The bad news? Clicking on "Terminal", the system requests a password. Neither "Admin" or "root" passwords work.

Hopefully, this additional information will generate some other suggestions.

Thanks.

-gt

Quote Originally Posted by swesque View Post
    The only place I can reset the Admin password is in the Web GUI. Nothing else works.
    Correct. Set the password for the "admin" account in the Administration interface in Config > Administration > Admin

OK?? Then what?

If you set a new admin password in the WebUI the root password will be changed too.

If that doesn't work try with the normal Debian/Linux root password recovery method.

Default Untangle root password recovery (continued..)

To recap..

Attempting an SSH login..
    I've tried the password for "Admin" (the one I use for the web remote gui interface).
    I've tried the password for "root" (the one that worked for SSH cmd line access until now).
    I've tried both passwords for Admin@myUntangleIP, admin@myUntangleIP, and root@myUntangleIP.
    For all combinations, I am not granted SSH access. The logins fail.

New information..
    I remembered I created a new account, "BOB", when I had SSH cmd line access for the root account.
    I am able log on to the server using SSH and "BOB" credentials.
    Still cannot "su" or "sudo" from "BOB" account, trying both root and admin passwords.

This verifies, I think, a change in root credentials has occurred. SSH works.

Apologies to dmorris if I'm sounding a bit dense. I will change the Admin password as soon as I get all I can from the damaged Untangle server. There's a distinct possibility the next config change or reboot could be my last.

I'm still not sure what I do with the new Admin password to gain SSH command line access.

Stick with me.

-gt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast