Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default How does Untangle count devices/ license question

To make sure I am good to go with how it all works, I need to put all my non-user devices into the bypass rules. So things like IP cameras, VOIP handsets, and printers don't get counted right? But a hypothetical user that has a laptop wifi connection and cell phone wifi will take two device seats and will do so for that day even if they leave, but if they are not back the following day, they are also not counted and their two seats can go to someone else.

I have a client who wants to provide free wifi for people who come to the waiting room. If he does this, then every person who connects will take up a seat. So even after the appointment is over and the patient leaves, it is my understanding that device is counted until the next day. So if we buy the 25 device version of web filter and 50 people connect throughout the day, then it will show us not enough licenses right?

What does Untangle recommend for this type of scenario? I also tried to find out what actually happens when this limit is hit. Is it just a warning at the top of the rack or does the application then quit working for the overage devices, for all?

Any device with an IP address that goes through the UVM on the way to anywhere counts.

If you hit the limit, the devices that connect afterward are bypassed, so they won't be subject to any of the filters.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

if you click on "hosts" at the top of the rack you can sort by active.

Anything where active = true is counted.
    You can view this over time in reports > hosts > hosts active
    bypassed devices won't be "active" because it won't see any internet-bound TCP sessions.

If you exceed your license then the excess devices won't be entitled to paid functionality but it will still get process by the free applications.Once an entitled device goes non-active, then the unentitled device will become entitled.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

The dashboard has a handy summary of the current active hosts and the highest amount of hosts at one time.

12.1-active-hosts.jpg
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    if you click on "hosts" at the top of the rack you can sort by active.

Anything where active = true is counted.
    You can view this over time in reports > hosts > hosts active
    bypassed devices won't be "active" because it won't see any internet-bound TCP sessions.

If you exceed your license then the excess devices won't be entitled to paid functionality but it will still get process by the free applications.Once an entitled device goes non-active, then the unentitled device will become entitled.
    Perfect, this is what I was looking for. Is that limit a hard number, is there a "grace" threshold? IE, i buy 25 devices and get 27 on it are still covered? It sounds to me as long as what I am buying is over that "maximum active" I should be good to go, unless there is a huge discrepancy between active and max. So perhaps we will let the free version run for a few days to find these numbers real world, then buy accordingly.

Thanks everyone!

Why not create a dhcp scope to guest wifi, and bypass them in untangle?
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

There is no grace zone, if you buy 25 you get 25, the 26th cannot access paid features.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thumbs up total host

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There is no grace zone, if you buy 25 you get 25, the 26th cannot access paid features.
    One of the free untangle servers I manage has 19 active host and max active is 36.

50 user would do it for them?

I am considering buying it for them since the pricing model has come down for the lower bands of licenses.

Thanks again for the home license long time user of the free version nice to finally give you some cash.

I have a lot of home users I can now get on board with untangle home license.

Love the 12 x product that dash board is awesome stuff.

Quick glance I can see what is going on.

Keep up the awesome work untangle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmstplummer View Post
    One of the free untangle servers I manage has 19 active host and max active is 36.
    50 user would do it for them?
    Yes, sounds perfect.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangle Ninja

Just to clarify my understanding, the important numbers are the "Currently Active" and the "Max Active"? The "Known Devices" are every device it "knows" about, but if they're not establishing sessions through the untangle then they're not "Active" and therefore not counted for purposes of licensing?

Mine shows 34 Currently Active, 40 Max Active, 99 Known, and I have a 50-user license for Spam Blocker (which is of course only used by the mail server, to filter mail for about 15 users).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast