Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Untangler

Internally Untangle will share NICs, but the vSwitch will have 4 Gbit ports tied to a Gbit switch into the network. WAN side Untangle will have a dedicated Gbit NIC.
    This isn't Hyper-V, it's ESXI 6.0 U2.

Internet is ~130/130.

Thanks again for all your help. Anxiously awaiting parts to come in so I can upgrade my server and get this project rolling.

Careful, a large file copy off that windows server will result in Internet access being degraded when you do that.

I do not recommend sharing NICs with a router... it doesn't end well.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

So does this look like how the network should come together in the end?
    ESXi Network.png

Ideally yes. Though, if your switch can handle it I'd trunc up the NIC feeding the rest of the VLANs. But you really do want Untangle, or any virtual router separate. You don't want your host's vSwitch lag to be involved with Internet traffic. Especially with your DNS running on that Windows server. It creates a tailspin of pain that impacts at random.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I'll take your word for it, but I've LAGed many a virtual router in both ESXi and Hyper-V with no issues at many, many places. Not arguing with you that it COULD be an issue, just sharing my experience that it isn't a given.

Jason

LAG, is the key word there. You're pushing the shared link to the switch to something beyond 1gb. It's very easy to saturate a single gigabit on even a small network.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

The only unexpected that I had in all this discussion, really, was the dedicated HDD. I already knew that I needed a RAM upgrade. Well, the 4 port NIC is new, but only b/c ESXi decided that it didn't like my dual port bypass NIC that in there already. Quad port PRO/1000 for <$45 == <3 anyway.

Master Untangler

I was really referring more to the comment on separating the internet traffic to a separate vSwitch/NIC.

But I agree completely that it is easy to saturate a 1 Gb link. 802.3bz can't come fast enough in my opinion. Or... much cheaper 10/40 Gb kit would be OK too.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    I was really referring more to the comment on separating the internet traffic to a separate vSwitch/NIC.

But I agree completely that it is easy to saturate a 1 Gb link. 802.3bz can't come fast enough in my opinion. Or... much cheaper 10/40 Gb kit would be OK too.
    I was absolutely already planning on putting WAN on it's own vswitch and NIC (if for no other reason than to NOT have to screw w/ VLANing it in the switch), I didn't think there'd be any issue though w/ 5 Gb NICs being plugged into a switch and all internal traffic sharing. It's no skin off my nose though to build another vSwitch.... it's not like it costs anything to do.

My mission is accomplished, you're thinking about all the right things. You have to understand that most don't understand, or think about the resource sharing issues that plague virtualization platforms. If you are aware of the limitations, you can do some really wonderful stuff. But, it's also a world's worth of rope to hang yourself.

I don't have to worry about either of you now, which is nice. I won't expect you coming back in here later wondering why your hypervisor dropped off the network because you plugged an Untangle bridge into the same vSwitch twice and broadcast stormed your network into a smoldering crater.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast