Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default Moving to new server

So I'm the happy owner of a new to me Xeon box, and I'm wanting to migrate my install. I've installed UT on the new machine already, but I'm curious as to what all will come with a backup/restore all. Will it bring all my current logs/ databases? If not, am I able to pull that information after the fact so that I can maintain my ability to pull stats and reports from my network hosts?

Thanks

It will move 100% of all configuration details, it will not move logs and historical information.

If you want to move all of that stuff you need to either move the hard disk over to the new platform, or use an imaging solution like CloneZilla to image the drive over.

Linux is portable like that, you don't need a reinstall to change hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    It will move 100% of all configuration details, it will not move logs and historical information.

If you want to move all of that stuff you need to either move the hard disk over to the new platform, or use an imaging solution like CloneZilla to image the drive over.

Linux is portable like that, you don't need a reinstall to change hardware.
    I've done a lot of cloning, and I didn't think of doing it that way (facepalm). I'm moving to an ESXi platform, and was going to deploy the OVF, but I think clonezilla -> image file -> manually built VM will be the easiest to maintain (except for having to turn down the network while cloning).

Thanks for the info, sky-knight.

The cloned system would run in the ESXi environment but it won't be as efficient as the OVA. Is there a reason you need the logs? Because I'd just restore the backup over the OVA and move on personally.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The cloned system would run in the ESXi environment but it won't be as efficient as the OVA. Is there a reason you need the logs? Because I'd just restore the backup over the OVA and move on personally.
    NEED? No. I just like maintaining the history to pull reports. OTOH, I've only had UT running since the first week of August, so I'm not losing that much history.

Normally I'd say just clone it and move on, but the drive configuration in the OVA is different, the OS is configured to disable swap.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

With a standard Debian install, I know that I could use swapoff (or that used to be the command). I wonder If I could clone it to VM and then fix those settings after the fact.

Speaking of.... I should probably disable swap on my running Linux VMs, now that I think of it.

I've... never done that, nor do I think it's sane. However, that is the way the OVA ships, even though it still has an extended partition with a logical drive in it intended for, but not formatted for swap.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

When I get to the point that I'm actually ready to make the transition I'll try building a blank VM and use clonezilla and an image file. If that fails, I'll just use the OVA and and a standard backup/ restore.

I need to pickup some more RAM before I finalize things. My ESXi server only has 12 GB, and the 4 running machines are already using 8-9 GB on average.

Untangler

I've seen other mention that, in a virtualized environment, disk I/O is the major concern. My host is running on a 4 disk 7200 RPM RAID. Will I have bottlenecks with that, given that my other VMs are either DHCP/DNS or Content servers (frontend only, content is hosted elsewhere in the network)?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast