Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Glad it works for you, AgentNul. Best to you.
    ...Rick

Those nonempty folders? You can nuke them with robocopy.

mkdir empty
    robocopy /mir /w:0 /r:0 .\empty .\folderwithstuff

When it's done folderwithstuff will be empty, and you can rmdir both.

I find it interesting that you pull out XP for this task, when its explorer was far worse than all modern variants of windows in this regard, and the cmd shell is identical.

As for your thinking that IT isn't a river, you have to eliminate email and web access entirely on segments using out of date software, if you do not you're one bad email away from cryptolocker or any number of other nasty things taking over your network. And, if you think XP is fine, good luck reinstalling it and patching it. It's a chore to get Windows 7 to update from stock these days, XP is downright impossible. (It can be done, it just takes days)
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by RBoynton View Post
    Glad it works for you, AgentNul.
    This has been my point all along. So many different types of shops and applications that a lot of users here don't consider.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth...than are dreamt of in your philosophy"
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    As for your thinking that IT isn't a river, you have to eliminate email and web access entirely on segments using out of date software, if you do not you're one bad email away from cryptolocker or any number of other nasty things taking over your network. And, if you think XP is fine, good luck reinstalling it and patching it. It's a chore to get Windows 7 to update from stock these days, XP is downright impossible. (It can be done, it just takes days)
    No one here runs XP any more, just me for folder deletion (thanks for the robocopy tip tho!) and when I need to admin an offline router or the like, because I don't have any spare W7 boxes (spare is a dirty word on my budget!).

The computer that got ransomware (cerber variant) had up to date virus software, but (from what I could tell after the fact) the malware was embedded in a word doc that ran when it was previewed in the print screen in Outlook 2016. From what I've read, NGFW doesn't prevent that.

And yes, W7 is getting harder and harder to update from a clean install these days, but I absolutely hate W10 (even with Classic Shell). I require any new computer coming in to have W7Pro on it (remember, these are independent contractors with their own hardware). I have found that running one update file first makes the rest of the updates run more smoothly. Still at least 24 hours before I can hand the box back to the user.

NGFW can prevent the infection but it would need to be your spam blocker, and most people have email in a hosted system. So that's the fault of the hosted solution's AV.

Ugh... I missed the detail of it being an independent shop for a pile of contractors... ugh man I feel your pain. I've done that mess before, that is not fun. You can't do JACK! The owners won't spend any money because it doesn't impact their bottom line, and the contractors almost never form a union of sorts to spread out the cost. So unless one of the subs gets pissed off enough to foot the bill, you're stuck with band aides, excuses and blame.

There is a large, rather wealthy real restate investment firm here in Phoenix that operates that way... I don't support them anymore for that very reason. Downtime gives me blood pressure issues... you don't get to hire me unless you want to keep your stuff going. And if you talk to my clients you'd know just how much of a shoestring I'm willing to pull. My contemporaries are constantly asking me what's wrong with me, but if it works don't fix it! I get it!

But there are things even beyond the line for me and that's when I'm out. It's all about what you're comfortable with, and what you don't get sued for!

P.S. Win7 is done in 2020, so you really shouldn't be using it anymore.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

NGFW can prevent the infection but it would need to be your spam blocker, and most people have email in a hosted system. So that's the fault of the hosted solution's AV.
    Ugh... I missed the detail of it being an independent shop for a pile of contractors... ugh man I feel your pain. I've done that mess before, that is not fun. You can't do JACK! The owners won't spend any money because it doesn't impact their bottom line, and the contractors almost never form a union of sorts to spread out the cost. So unless one of the subs gets pissed off enough to foot the bill, you're stuck with band aides, excuses and blame.
    My contemporaries are constantly asking me what's wrong with me, but if it works don't fix it! I get it!
    P.S. Win7 is done in 2020, so you really shouldn't be using it anymore.
    I've spoken to our hosted email company and they are (at least now they are) scanning for those viruses. Guess they weren't last June!

Glad you see my problem with the independent contractors. Any money spent on me comes out of the company dollar and the ICs are in competition with each other so they wouldn't even band together in a fire! I try to rein them in as best as I can, but the sophistication level among my users run near the bottom (hence my comment about adding the s to http).

2020 seems like a lifetime away in terms of OS development. I'm hoping MS can figure out that we are not all running touch screens by then.
    Last edited by AgentNul; 01-14-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Windows 10 isn't designed for touch screens, also there will be no further releases of Windows. If you're waiting for Windows 11, you're going to be waiting a very long time. Windows 10 is it, image based and capable of self upgrades like a cell phone. So all we're looking at are new builds of Win10 for the rest of forever.

I can't wait until a new build bricks previously working hardware...

Oh, and never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups. I still think Web Monitor will help you far more than Web Filter Lite did in sanity checking that mess.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I still think Web Monitor will help you far more than Web Filter Lite did in sanity checking that mess.
    Damn and here I was thinking you were finally beginning to understand my shop.

I already know what's happening on our web. I need to filter it, even if it's with Lite. Like the LifeLock commercial says, why monitor something if you're not going to do anything about it. I need to filter it (for free because no budget, no management interest - waving printouts from the Web Monitor is useless), and I want to make some sort of statement to the users that Big Brother is at least paying attention.

Then use monitor, generate a report, and make firewall rules on the stuff you need to block.

Seriously, it's still better than Web Filter Lite. You don't seem to be grasping that.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Then use monitor, generate a report, and make firewall rules on the stuff you need to block. Seriously, it's still better than Web Filter Lite. You don't seem to be grasping that.
    Seriously, if you think it's better to start by hand-coding 1,000,000 entries and then add the ones I want specifically that aren't on that list, you don't seem to be grasping anything beyond your narrow view of what happens in other people's workplaces. An imperfect Web Filter Lite, IN MY SHOP, is better than Web Monitor. Please just learn to deal with that and stop telling me how wrong I am. All your training and experience still don't qualify you to dictate best-practices in my office. Seriously.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast