Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Untangle Freezing after move to new device

Greetings,

I have been an extremely happy untangle home license user for around 6 months. Prior to this weekend I had it installed on an old HP SFF C2duo laying around and never had any issues. I had the bright idea to migrate to a lower power device and have had nothing but problems. The device I purchased was a Qotom-Q190G4N-S08 barebones unit sold on amazon. This device has a embedded J1900 quad core processor and I added 8Gb of ram and a 120gb ssd. Right out of the gate I was having problems just installing Untangle. The process would get close to the end and then it would freeze with the screen display garbled (see below)

UntangleScreen.jpg

This happened on both the Graphic install and the Text install. After the 3rd time using the Graphic install it finally completed sucessfully. I thought I was out of the woods but the system has frozen a few times randomly with the same garbled screen over the past couple of days. It has not lasted more than 10 hours without crashing. I did a complete reinstall of Untangle after the first day of crashes thinking that the install might be corrupted but that didn't help. I have also tried all options (Safe Video Mode, Hardware Safe Mode) from the Grub Menu.

I am at a total loss since my original installation on the HP had no issues and was completely stable for six months.

Any help or advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

That looks literally like bad ram.

You need to verify your hardware. Memtest, if you don't get 4 passes without errors, swap the DIMMs.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just finished checking the ram with Memtest. No errors were detected after 4 passes. The motherboard in the unit is a Q1900G4-M V1.1. I know there are a few of the Qotom units out there that have been running Untangle without issues. I am not sure if they are using the same motherboard.

I am running the exact same processor with 4gb of memory and a 32gb SSD drive and it is running Untangle just fine in a similar low powered box. Did you upload your previous configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett77 View Post
    Did you upload your previous configuration?
    Yes I applied my old working configuration to the unit after I installed Untangle. Are you running one of the Qotom units? Do you know if it has the same motherboard in it?

Here is what I running: http://corpshadow.biz/bizstore/bareb...1900&results=2

How many Ethernet ports were being used in your previous config?

I had to make a few adjustments to the configuration of the interfaces to get everything working right.
    Last edited by wbennett77; 02-13-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: More info

Quote Originally Posted by wbennett77 View Post
    How many Ethernet ports were being used in your previous config?.
    I am only running 2 ports 1 for the External and 1 for Internal. Your device looks similar but mine has 4 usb ports so it is definitely a different motherboard. The thing is it is working normally until it randomly freezes and I loose all network connectivity. The only way to bring it back is to powercycle the device. The unit was disconnected for a while today while I ran Memtest to verify the memory was working properly. I hooked everything back up at around 5:30pm and everything connected like it should. I was streaming a movie and the device froze up with the garbled screen at the console around 8:30pm. I swapped out the SSD with an old laptop drive and reinstalled Untangle. I also looked through each bios setting and changed any that I thought could have an impact. Did your unit have an msata drive or a 2.5" drive?

Quote Originally Posted by gconrad View Post
    Did your unit have an msata drive or a 2.5" drive?
    I have an msata drive.

Just crashed again when I connected remotely via OpenVPN.

With crashes that frequent you are dealing with either an incompatibility issue with the hardware you are using and our software / the underlying Linux Debian kernel or something physically having issues on that hardware. I would try a different piece of hardware if you have already re-installed there.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast