Master Untangler

Default Untangle under KVM Virtualization?

before I pull the trigger and take the time to set it up, can anyone confirm or deny if Untangle can perform well under KVM with proper resources?

I've heard good things about Hyper-V, but we're a KVM shop.

I have never done it myself, but I know several have.

Not sure how "easy" it is or how it performs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Well, I'll give it a shot at the very least. I'm not worried so much about the easy, since at it's core we're just Debian, but the performance.

I know of one person that tried it, and while it worked didn't perform terribly well. He's now using a dedicated appliance. That being said, we both believe the performance issues were hardware limitations not Untangle limitations.

I forget which version of Proxmox he was using at the time, but if I recall correctly Untangle v12 wasn't getting VLAN tags in and out reliably either... lots of little strangenesses, hence the jump to bare metal. Again probably not the fault of either product, likely simple ignorance networking isn't his strong suit, and my ability to troubleshoot such things from the other side of the country is limited.

I don't remember installation being a problem.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

had it running overnight so far, and it's been working quite nicely. Performance is within 4% of bare metal, an acceptable tolerance to me.

There are some quirks with the Untangle JVM detecting the connection on the virtio nics. They work, but you don't get the green circles under Network.

I don't use Untangle for Vlans, as I believe that should firmly be handled on a layer3 switch for wirespeed transport, but I could see that being an issue if one didn't understand Linux Bridging or OVS that well.

Untanglit

I just tried to install 13.0.0 on Proxmox 5.0, and it installs, then crashes the VM on boot immediately after grub loads. I switched a few items, but I think the one that did it was using the VMware display driver, after that it boots fine, also switched to E1000 nics.