Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Multiple External Ip adresses possible?

Is this possible a cisco can do this?
    Als is it possible to do Internet load balancing or line speed combining?

mdh

Untangle will allow you to use multiple external IP addresses, which also enables you to do 1:1 NAT. Untangle does not yet support multiple physical WAN connections.

Untanglit

So multiple IP adresses in 1 external NIC --> Cool ;-)
    and the multi WAN support is coming? when is it scheduled?

mdh

"Later". If developers want to specify a date, they can. I would be outside with the squirrels if I dared do that.

Untanglit

So by saying multiple external addresses, does this mean only addresses within the same subnet or from multiple subnets? I understand only a single physical public interface at the moment but would it be possible to use multiple ISP connections if they were consolidated into an Ethernet switch rather than connecting directly to the Untangle box?

In the Cisco world the real problem with the PIX was that it only supported one default route. Does Untangle support multiple default routes that it will load-balance across?

Thanks,

RG
    Last edited by Sonik; 07-19-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Untangler

Load balancing or failover would allow us to replace our current dual wan router. Please add +1 to your list of parties interested in this feature.

mdh

I think that unrelated addresses would face issues with gateways and routing of responses from behind Untangle. Static NAT could take care of part of that, but I'm real hesitant about saying yes. If you had a block of addresses from an ISP, that's no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rguyler View Post
    In the Cisco world the real problem with the PIX was that it only supported one default route. Does Untangle support multiple default routes that it will load-balance across?
    There can be only one "default" route for any TCP/IP host since this is the "gateway of last resort." Basically, IP looks through it's routing table to find a match for the destination address, if it can't find a match, it gives up and sends the packet to the default route hoping that it knows what to do with it.

You can setup static routes to send traffic destined for a particular host onto one ISP or another. This is useful for situations where you want to send all your VOIP traffic onto a particular ISP. (ie make a static route to your voip endpoint to the router of one isp and make the default gateway the other isp's router.)

m.

Untangler

yes the pix is more of a layer 3 switch so to say or maybe a little under that, most networks would have a router in front with bgp doing some sort of load balancing or failover, with the pix stateful failover can be done but you have to have two firewalls and extra cable for connection state info to be relaid to secondary. If I remember right it was sort of like vrrp where the firewalls would have a virtual address so when failing over its transparent to users. With a dual wan on untangle with diff ips you would have to have a smart device in front to know where to send traffic for x address and load balance it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    yes the pix is more of a layer 3 switch so to say or maybe a little under that, most networks would have a router in front with bgp doing some sort of load balancing or failover, with the pix stateful failover can be done but you have to have two firewalls and extra cable for connection state info to be relaid to secondary. If I remember right it was sort of like vrrp where the firewalls would have a virtual address so when failing over its transparent to users. With a dual wan on untangle with diff ips you would have to have a smart device in front to know where to send traffic for x address and load balance it as well.
    Actually, like the untangle unit, the PIX can operate in bridged or routed mode. The way it does hot failover is that the secondary PIX "takes over" the MAC address of the primary. So the failover is completely transparent to other devices. It's for this reason that you need a dedicated failover connection between the two units.
    Last edited by mrunkel; 07-19-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Double Signature
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast