Default Installation fails on writing ext4 or boots to flashing cursor

I posted a thread last week about not being able to complete installation. I ordered a new MB and processor at the suggestion of incompatibility from Untangle support and forum members...

Now, with the new hardware the installation seems to proceed fine, at normal speed, which is a big improvement. However, it fails at writing ext4 file system during the installing main system step. I've tried multiple HDs, USBs, and other hardware configurations and nothing seems to help.

At the suggestion of the previous thread, I put my HD in another computer and installed untangle there. The install completed quickly, got my hopes up... then booted to a flashing cursor. Placing that HD in the original hardware produces the same result - flashing cursor.

Support refused to help since it was hardware incompatibility. The 3 systems I've tried to install on are all well over the minimum requirements. Am I supposed to just keep buying hardware until something works? Part of the appeal here is that you don't (shouldn't) need cutting edge hardware to run this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what you're going to do. You see, speccing out hardware to be compatible for Debian Linux isn't so easy is it?

That's why there are people like me that do this professionally. There really isn't anything we can do on the forums without a bucket of more detail than you're providing. And no, Untangle support won't help you, there is a reason Untangle sells the uSeries.

P.S. Newer hardware is worse, not better.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Well, that stinks.

Can you (or anyone) give me an idea of what to look for? Something known to work, besides the appliances?

And I'm happy to provide whatever details are necessary for further diagnostics.

So, you want me to give away my research and time?

The way to do this properly is to install Untangle in a VM, so you have an install to reference. Then, you look at a given mainboard, identify what drivers are required for it and go look at your Untangle VM to see if the .ko files of the appropriate version are there.

How do you know what .KO you need? Hope the hardware manufacturer provides that information. They don't? Well, then you get to do what you've been doing, try it and see.

One last bit of advice, go Intel or go home. Intel has the widest support for Linux of any manufacturer.

There are plenty of posts on these forums from people with working configurations for you to wander through. There's a search box at the top, use it!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

But intel is no more manufacture desktop board.
    You fall in gigabyte, asus, and so.

As rob said, search a mobo debian compatible.
    The last builds I config: Lenovo M73 SFF. Rock solid for 24x365 use
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Thank you for the feedback.

Untangler

Years ago I could not get Untangle to load. Almost everything else loaded IE Windows, some Linux, and some BSD. I cant remember, 2007 motherboard and 2003 CD/DVD drive. Spent 50 to 60 hours trying everything to get Untangle to load. It turned out to be the hardware birth dates were too far apart. I went to Best Buy and bought a new CD/DVD drive and Untangle loaded first time.

Hahaha, that's crazy.

I'm just going the vm route with mine. Should've just done that to begin with.