Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default Need help to configure my untangle VM with my ISP router (french Orange fiber)

hi all

So, for a week now, i have fiber at home ! yeaah ! With a french ISP and his router (livebox play). The router is a piece of sh* but well....that's the way it is.

In france we have what they call "triple play" or "quadruple play" offers for the internet. It means it has internet, the phone, the tv and the mobile.

So I have my ISP router and a tv player for...the tv.

I want to configure untangle (on a Virtual machine) to run on my network.
    But I need to keep the DHCP on the ISP router (because of the TV service).
    So how do I do that ? how to tell untangle to process all traffic ?

i have :
    Public IP (dynamic IP) =>my ISP router (IP 192.168.1.254) => my LAN (192.168.1.XX)

I can't configure untangle in a bridge mode because the networks (lan) crashed and my isp router crashed too. (don't know why. I tried with just my VM connected to the ISP router and one cable to the swith, but no luck).

So I tried to configure untangle in router mode without DHCP but it has an IP like 192.168.2.XX
    How do I configure untangle to analyse all the traffic in my lan ?
    I have to configure a route right ?

it will be like this ?:
    Public IP (dynamic IP) =>my ISP router (IP 192.168.1.254) with DHCP => my LAN (192.168.1.XX) & my untangle VM (192.168.2.XX with a "route" ?)

is it correct ? or am i completely wrong here ?

Can someone help me on this please ?
    yeah, i suck at networking stuff !

Also, please forgive my English, i'm french :-)

another question :
    i know there is a way to completely remove my ISP router, but it is a little bit complicated since the ISP provider uses VLAN (vlan 840 for internet, vlan 835 for tv, ...). I read on french forums, that it is possible to use an ubiquity router. but it needs some configuration ....
    Will it be do-able with untangle too ? with the linksys rtac1900 for example ?
    Last edited by doudoufr; 11-24-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Master Untangler

i attach an image of my network.

mylan.jpg

I think plugging the in and out from your untangle box into your switch is the issue. I would go directly from your router to the untangle box (in bridge mode) and then to the switch (is it a simple unmanaged switch?). Then branch to your devices. If you use the wifi like in your drawing, untangle won't pick it up.

You'll get far better answers from mor technical members here. This is just my aerial guess.
    Last edited by Kyawa; 11-24-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Master Untangler

i tried that too in bridge mode, but didn't work as well.
    That's why i'm using the "router mode" now.
    yes it is a simple switch.

What if you put everything on the same subnet? You need to either adjust DHCP or reserve the IP for your untangle box.

Master Untangler

if you tell me how.....
    because in router mode, i can't. (or i don't know how to do it)

I think there are others here that can/will be more helpful. I also think that installing Untangle on the Linksys router and cascading it with your ISP router may make it easier.

There is no difference from a network perspective using a hypervisor vs anything else. Untangle is not a proxy, Untangle must be inline with the network traffic.

You have an edge router, so I assume you're using an Untangle bridge? If not, you're making more work for yourself.

Take the LAN cable from your router out of your switch and feed that to the ESXi server NIC that DOES NOT have management on it. Attach a vSwitch to that LAN port, attach Untangle's External interface to that vSwitch. Make a second vSwitch and attach it to the LAN port that has management on it, attach Untnagle's Internal interface to that vSwitch, along with all the rest of your VMs, attach that physical NIC to your LAN switch.

Then go make sure promiscuous mode is allowed on both vSwitches.

And it'll start working.

Untangle can be a router too, it can do VLANs as well but from the sounds of things you'll probably need WAN balancer and failover to make it cooperate. And honestly, I don't recommend it because it'll create a support issue with your ISP. Not to mention the brick wall of a learning curve that is virtual networking with Untangle.

Oh, and this configuration leaves your wifi unfiltered, if you want that filtered you're going to need to buy another WAP and put it on the switch then disable wifi in your edge router.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-24-2017 at 09:14 AM.
    Kyawa likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thanks but,
    1) where did you see I have an edge router ?
    2) when I use the bridge mode, it crashes my networks and my ISP router.

So i'm using the router mode but with the DHCP handled by my ISP router. My question is : do I need to configure route or Something for the traffic to be handled by the untangle VM ?

What you need to first focus on is:

Untangle must be inline with the network traffic.
    this configuration leaves your wifi unfiltered, if you want that filtered you're going to need to buy another WAP and put it on the switch then disable wifi in your edge router
    I think if you follow sky-knight's guidance, you'll get it working.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast