Default Blinking Cursor on Boot - Must use Super Grub2 to Boot

Hi, I'm new here, been using Untangle for a month or so as a trial at my house. I may move to it for my clients as well as I'm so tired of the firewall options out there (I use Fortigate but really don't like it.) But for now, I just have it up and running on a Mac mini in my basement to serve as my family's firewall. Been working flawlessly. Then...last night we had a power outage, and I discovered it was not on my UPS the hard way. When I turned it back on, I got only a black screen with blinking cursor. I popped in an old copy of the Ultimate Boot CD on USB and was able to get back up and running from Super Grub2 Disk 2.00s2. I clicked on "everything" and it lists all possible operating systems and options. From there I clicked Untangle 3.16.0-4-untangle-amd64 and it boots just fine. How do I get it to boot without going through this? I'm not sure what broke when the power went out but it seems fixable, I just don't know Linux well enough to fix it! Thanks for any advice.

Get a backup of the config and re-install. I would replace the hard drive also.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Get a backup of the config and re-install. I would replace the hard drive also.
    Hi, thanks for the response. That seems a little bit extreme, no? Thereís nothing wrong with the drive. It checks out fine. Everything works perfectly once itís booted up. Itís a problem with it finding the system at startup. When I use the USB-based boot loader it works perfectly again. I just need to tell it where to find the system. Honestly Iíve never rebooted it since installation. This might not have had anything to do with the power failure and may have happened even if I manually, intentionally rebooted. Is there some startup repair function like what windows has?

If I do have to reinstall, I should just start up, backup my config, reload the OS and the reload from the backup? Hoping I donít have to do that given everything works once I point it to the OS.

Thanks!

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dansuntangle View Post
    That seems a little bit extreme, no? There’s nothing wrong with the drive. It checks out fine....This might not have had anything to do with the power failure and may have happened even if I manually, intentionally rebooted.
    I can see what you're saying, but I would agree with jcoffin just a matter of procedure. I'd be concerned about the long term health and reliability of a drive that became corrupted in the boot sector, for whatever reason. That's just what I think. And since this is a home system, I would consider replacing the drive with a used drive if I knew it's history, to keep costs nominal.

If you want to just "fix" the boot sector and Untangle boots the command is rather simple

grub-install --recheck /dev/sda

Assuming your hard disk is sda anyway.

The thing is... you more than likely didn't just lose the boot sector, something might be broken. Untangle backups and restores are very quick and painless. With your border security why risk it?

But, if you're dead set, or curious anyway... there's the command knock yourself out.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-24-2018 at 07:49 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Just a follow up. The issue was that the HD was partitioned with the GUID initial partition. It needs to be Master Boot Record (MBR) to properly boot. It did work fine under GUID once I booted it from the Super Grub2 Disk, but that's obviously not a realistic way to run your firewall! This happened because I repurposed a Mac mini I had lying around and while I did format the drive, what I needed to do first, was *partition* it with the MBR scheme. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

And in case anyone stumbles on this post and is curious about using a Mac mini, I'm using the built-in Ethernet as the internal and a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor for the external connectivity. Working great. A good use of a Mac mini, which consumes very small amounts of electricity, is compact, and really perfect for this if you have one that isn't being used as a Mac.