Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WRT1900ACS/AC v2 Bricked on upgrade

Hi, Configured and had this device from flashrouters.com up and running. Saw there was an Untangle Upgrade avail so I ran it. The router would not start afterwards. Totally bricked. Called Linksys and they talked me through their reset procedure which would not work either. Flashrouters was kind enough to replace it but I am paranoid to set it up in my office again. Has anyone else had this experience or are you upgrading yours as usual?

Thanks!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by joshgold15 View Post
    Hi, Configured and had this device from flashrouters.com up and running. Saw there was an Untangle Upgrade avail so I ran it. The router would not start afterwards. Totally bricked. Called Linksys and they talked me through their reset procedure which would not work either. Flashrouters was kind enough to replace it but I am paranoid to set it up in my office again. Has anyone else had this experience or are you upgrading yours as usual?

Thanks!
    I have auto updated my WRT1900ACS V1 several times and also manually updated a couple of times without issue. I always have a copy of the latest Linksys firmware in the "/" (root) partition just in case. All in All I have not experienced the issues you have encountered.

However I do remember reading somewhere in the forums about a similar issue about 6 months ago or so about another user with a Flashrouters derived 1900

Regards

KK

Thanks so much for the reply. So I guess I download that from Linksys but not sure how I get it to the root partition?
    I am going to keep the PC with my old Untangle instance just in case so it can be plugged in if needed. Would really like to make the move though to the Linksys since that PC is 4 years old now and been running the whole time.

Untangler

I've got about 5, maybe more, Linksys 1900 WRT ACS v2 routers that are unusable right now. Flashed them back to the latest Linksys Firmware, and can't get past the welcome screen. Tried all three methods to reset it, or get to the management page to upload a new firmware, in order to get Untangle back on, or to try a different version of the Linksys firmware to see if it works. No go. No matter what I do, I wasn't able to get to the management page, or past the welcome page. YOu can't even flash the firmware using the Linksys TFTP tool with this router. Everything has to go through "Linksys Smart Cloud" interface.

If someone has any suggestions on how to rescue these routers, I would appreciate it!

Most likely you will need to get a console to the device. Unfortunately the console port pins are inside the device. It is not trivial to add the console port and can easily fry the circuit if mis-connected.
    https://github.com/Chadster766/McWRT...on-via-minicom
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

When ever I have gone back to native Linksys firmware the router does not revert to factory defaults. The "admin" password is remembered from before it was flashed with the Untangle code. So at the welcome screen I use the old password. If I cant remember it, I just press the reset button and revert to fatory defaults of admin / admin.Then I peroform a manual set up. I have never had to revert to the the external connection "Jcoffin" refers to. I had to perfrom the revertion to Linksys firmware at the weekend and followed the istructions in the forums but missed out the delete section and only copied the code into the two areas (4 and 6) as recommended.

KK

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Kkorkky View Post
    When ever I have gone back to native Linksys firmware the router does not revert to factory defaults. The "admin" password is remembered from before it was flashed with the Untangle code. So at the welcome screen I use the old password. If I cant remember it, I just press the reset button and revert to fatory defaults of admin / admin.Then I peroform a manual set up. I have never had to revert to the the external connection "Jcoffin" refers to. I had to perfrom the revertion to Linksys firmware at the weekend and followed the istructions in the forums but missed out the delete section and only copied the code into the two areas (4 and 6) as recommended.

KK
    Yikes. I hope I don't have to do open up the console mode. My issue is that the page won't load fully, I don't get the two boxes to enter the credentials. I followed the instructions here to the "t".

So here is the procedure, how to revert to stock.
    Prerequisites:
    putty (http://www.putty.org/)
    winscp (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php)
    original firmware (http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=165487)

Procedure
    1. download all prerequisites and install putty and winscp
    2. use WinSCP to connect to the Linksys and copy the firmware to /tmp and rename to foobar.trx (login: root, pwd: your admin password)
    3. use putty to ssh to the Linksys (login: root, pwd: your admin password)
    4. cd /tmp
    5. rm /dev/mtdblock2
    6. dd if=foobar.trx of=/dev/mtdblock4 bs=1M
    7. dd if=foobar.trx of=/dev/mtdblock6 bs=1M
    8. remove the USB drive from Linksys
    9. power off, wait a minute and power on
    10. let the router do it's thing, it will reboot a couple of times
    You should be back to stock.

Thanks and kudos go to dmorris and Gouldin

Untangler

Morning , this is the process I have used to revert back to the Linksys firmware. I personally omit step 5 these days. Remember reverting to "stock" does return the router to a factory default configeration. I did become a bit confused the first time I reverted to stock as I had two SSID's with the same name (One legitimate and one remembred by the Linksys) that caused connetion difficlties and some symptoms similar to what you describe. To connect to the 1900 I disable all my PC WiFi network adapters. I try an ethernet connection via DHCP, if that does not work I then ponder whch IP address was on the LAN before and, manually configure IPv4 addresses etc on my PC etherent adapter. For me thats typically networks like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x Remember not to use the Yellow WAN RJ45 connector. Use the other ethernet RJ45 "switch" Ports.

KK
    Last edited by Kkorkky; 07-12-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Untangler

I don't have an issue accessing the router, and the router works normally, and it does reset to default settings for me. But I can't login to the router. It doesn't finish loading the page. And if I copy the URL for a different page from a different router, it still attempts to load the login screen first, which never actually fully loads.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    I don't have an issue accessing the router, and the router works normally, and it does reset to default settings for me. But I can't login to the router. It doesn't finish loading the page. And if I copy the URL for a different page from a different router, it still attempts to load the login screen first, which never actually fully loads.
    MY only thoughts are the Linksys code did not WCP across 100%. I have seen this due to free space issues, and now I only copy into the root partition after checking with "df" for free space. However that is moot point now.

I would now be looking for the connector that J Coffin talks about.

Sorry I couldn't help you resolve this issue.

KK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast