Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default Untangle v 14 on esxi 6.7 Install

I have setup untangle on a hp G5 with esxi 6.0 I got a new server hp G8 and migrated all my VM's over except for untangle. Though it was pretty straight forward but I am not getting the ports that I have assigned internal or external to get a ip. When I create the port groups and virtual switch is not on the same as the management one. One problem I see I am having issues in getting the 2 port groups to connect to the networks ports I created. It keeps going back to the default vm. If I remove the vmkernal nics I can at least assign the ports to the vm but you need the vmkernal t tell it was or how to get the ip. Anyone using esci 6.7 on untangle? Is it compatible? I would have just upgraded the g5 but the hardware doesn't support 6.7.

Its a lot of ramblings an it makes more sense in my head, any help would be great. I'm sure its so hidden check box I am missing.

I would install from ISO on the new VM and import the Untangle backup from the other instance.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I got the vm with Untangle up an working with v14 the networking I cannot get figured out.
    I didn't think the vm back up would take over the network settings. How would it know which nic or ports you are using.

The WMware instance settings determine which VM network interface is used.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Use the connected tick box on the vNIC. Only have 1 "connected" so you know where it is, and turn them on one at at time.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Is there a limitation that untangle has to be on a different physical nic from everything else? My current configuration is setup that way.

Technically no, but untangle must be installed in-line.
    https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...Cardinal_Rules
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

I have untangle setup and working on a hp g5 with esxi 6
    setting up untangle on esxi 6.7 is a little different. One would think it would be the same but its not. Its similar but the differences is what I'm struggling with. I was hoping I could just snapshot it or run a back up and restore it on the new server but the networking is not working out for me. I know its something simple.

You don't have to put Untangle on a dedicated NIC, but remember all your internet traffic has to go through this system... twice (once in, and once out again). If anything sharing these NICs causes congestion, you slow down internet access for everyone.

So if you have a 10G server NIC in a small office and only a 50Mbps cable internet link... sure, go for it. But otherwise, avoid that scenario like the plague.

The same applies for disk. Untangle can log a LOT of stuff, and thus can be I/O heavy. Anything that causes disk I/O congestion on your virtual host can cause noticable internet slowdowns for everyone. Untangle will run just fine on a virtual system, but you really have to know what you're doing to keep performance good.
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 07-10-2018 at 08:45 AM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.5 to protect a 1Gbps fiber link for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    You don't have to put Untangle on a dedicated NIC, but remember all your internet traffic has to go through this system... twice (once in, and once out again). If anything sharing the NIC causes congestion, you slow down internet access for everyone.
    I'll back this up, at a minimum you usually have to dedicate a NIC to Internet access. But you could share the other NIC with your other internally accessed VMs. BUT, as JCoehoorn points out, if you have a gigabit NIC here, and start to move a file off a VM that's on that NIC while using the internet, you can find yourself running out of gigabit and the Internet for the entire network slows down.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast