Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default New Installation Hanging After Installation Completes

I have recently purchased one of these: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F112970894143

My plan was to install Untangle on it & use it to replace my Linksys router.

I downloaded the USB disk image, wrote the image to a USB Stick & then booted from it.
    Everything seemed to go fine during the Untangle installation, the NICs were detected, all seemed well.
    At the end of the installation though, the system just hangs at “Requesting system reboot” and never gets any further.

If I pull the power & plug it back in again the system then complains about there being no bootable media.
    The system originally came with PfSense installed & that booted up fine so my issue has to have been caused during my attempts to install Untangle.

FWIW, I have tried the x32 and the x64 releases of Untangle both with the same results.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Is UEFI on in BIOS?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I think I have it set to boot both UEFI or Legacy. I’ll check it tomorrow as I’ve packed it away now.

Does Untangle support UEFI? Or shall I have the BIOS set in pure Legacy mode?

UEFI is not support. I would set it to Legacy.

Untangler

OK. I shall give that a try tomorrow. Thank you for your advice. I’ll report back with how I get on

Untangler

Unfortunately still no joy.
    I have made sure that Secure Boot was disabled, I have set the BIOS to CSM mode & also ensured that only Legacy boot mode was selected.
    Reinstalled Untangle but it still freezes right at the same point at the end of Installation when it tries to reboot the system.

I am now trying again, only this time I have also set the SATA mode to IDE instead of AHCI. I’m not confident of this working but in the interest of process of elimination I shall give it a go.

I’ll report back soon

Untangler

Right, finally got it sorted
    No matter what I was trying I simply could not get the system to boot up Untangle after installation.

I decided to open the unit up and see what was inside it.
    I discovered that the internal "drive" was nothing more than a SATA to SD Card adapter with an 8GB SD Card in it eBay specials hey

I decided to pull the SD Card out and stuck it in a USB SD Card adapter that I had lying around and plugged that in to the back of the unit. Booted the system up and hey presto up came Untangle as it should be. Not an ideal way of using it I know, but coming from a Linksys set up it's not much different to how I've been rolling.
    There doesn't appear to be any way to mount a proper SATA drive inside the unit, but I did notice an MSata slot on the motherboard. An MSata card should sit quite nicely in there so I shall pick one up soon and get that installed, hopefully Untangle shouldn't have any trouble booting off that.

No idea why Untangle happily installed to the SD Card pretending to be a SATA drive, but then the system refused to boot from it? Anyone got any clues as to why this happened?
    Either way, problem solved, we got there in the end

Congrats getting the box running. I would use a SATA drive in the box, probably a SSD or 2.5 thin drive will fit. The USB drive will have issues going forward. A normal Untangle is different than the Linksys UT as UT is a specially configuration on the Linksys with everything put into memory including the database. The USB on the Linksys is only used on boot up.

Untangler

Just a quick update, I now have a 120GB mSATA card installed inside the case. Untangle is happy booting from that.

Definitely a lot quicker than running from the USB. Happy days.
    Thanks for your help guys

Nice to hear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast