Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default strange behaviour when updating 14.1

When I manually update I get the downloading screen as usual but when all is downloaded it doesn't go away.
    ScreenShot 2018-11-15 at 07.34.03.jpg

It stays like this forever. I have to refresh the page and go to the update page again and start it again. After that it installs the update.
    ScreenShot 2018-11-15 at 07.35.26.jpg

This has been on the update from 14.01 to 14.1 and todays 2nd 14.1 update.

It's happened on one of two upgrades or both?

As a reference, it my box took about 20 mins after the download was complete on a m.2 drive.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cblaise View Post
    It's happened on one of two upgrades or both?
    On both.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    As a reference, it my box took about 20 mins after the download was complete on a m.2 drive.
    Waited 10-15mins, SSD drive also. In the past it started updating right after the downloads...
    And when I refresh the page and select Update again it also starts right away.

Master Untangler

Yeah... Sitting with no idea of what is happening for the end user for 10-20 minutes is kind of BS.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    Yeah... Sitting with no idea of what is happening for the end user for 10-20 minutes is kind of BS.
    Especially since ALL updates before went without such issues and there were many.....

I've seen this many times and never been able to pin down a pattern, I think it's just luck that has two units of yours do this.

It's usually the browser ignoring a redirect, refresh or a cache clear on the browser almost always fixes it as you've discovered. But it's just one of those things that sometimes crops up. I see it on at least 1 out of every 10 manual updates I perform. Which is part of the reason why I prefer to simply schedule automatic updates and let that do the lifting while I sleep as much as possible.

You're worried about 10-20 min? Don't administrate Windows Server 2016, I've had a server with 16 3.5ghz CPUs, and 128gb of RAM, sitting on top four SATA SSDs in a RAID 10 configuration with an 8GB NVFLASH cache take FOUR HOURS to reboot for updates. All you get is that Windows 10 style pinwheel saying "updating your computer, please wait". It's loads of fun when that "computer" is a HyperV host with 6-8 production VMs on it and the construction crew shows up for work at 4am, and the reboot went off at 2...

Not that this excuses the issues with the Untangle UI, just saying it's a thing... so much of our jobs in IT is hurry up and wait. Also it seems the first time you push the update button it doesn't actually update, that's a rather annoying situation. I'd flush your browser cache and see if it repeats on the next server, it probably won't and you'll be where I am... trying to nail down this ghost.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-15-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    JasonJoel likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I've seen this many times and never been able to pin down a pattern...
    Same here. I find the update GUI behavior unsettling more often than not. I'm always glad when the ordeal is successfully over.

Once, and only once, I had to ask support to look things over because I could not get beyond the download. The update went fine for them. The suggestion at that time was to use a different browser (I was using Safari), though the process was asserted to be browser agnostic.

Untangler

It wasn't on 2 servers but the last 2 updates on 1. And I reported it because it was something new never seen before and the uodate was for a major version, so it might have to do with the new version.

It's not bothering me so much as I know how to workaround it....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast