Default Shrink Untangle Disk Size for OVA image

Hello everybody

I wanted to try Untangle out on my ESXi host at home where I only have few GBs left. I installed the OVA image and noticed the system disk is a 320GB thin provisioned disk. Which is not really an issue right now, but having only about 80GB available I can't start using it without resizing the disk. I've looked at documentation and posts in the forum but all I could find was related to the question how to enlarge the disk, but nothing about how to shrink a disk, especially within a VM.

I tried already something on my own, but it didn't work as expected:
    • Tried to clone the disk to a smaller disk, but of course that didn't work
    • Tried to shrink the main partition with gparted from a live Ubuntu session, the process completed succesfully, but the installation broke as it could not start anymore correctly (some errors about Postgres

My question now would be: is there an "official" way to fix this ? Do I have to install it manually in a VM? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot everyone for the help !

I need to know that also since i dont want to eat 320gb in company. Atm im with 80gb updated from 13v to 14.1 and i am pretty fine with this 80gb but i want to do a clean install direct to 14.1.
    The old OVAs was creating 80gb disk.

Master Untangler

The OVA doesn't really do much of anything special... So you can always do a manual install, if needed, with whatever size drive you want.

The only thing I can suggest is to boot the VM with GParted, resize root to 80gb, and leave it.

The disk will still be "320gb", but it'll never grow past 80gb because the guest OS cannot use any more than that.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    The OVA doesn't really do much of anything special... So you can always do a manual install, if needed, with whatever size drive you want.
    Yeah that's actually what I thought is the easiest option.. Thanks for confirming it!

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The only thing I can suggest is to boot the VM with GParted, resize root to 80gb, and leave it.

The disk will still be "320gb", but it'll never grow past 80gb because the guest OS cannot use any more than that.
    I have to be honest with you, I didn't think about this option ! Thanks for the suggestion !!