Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Install on MinnowBoard Turbot Dual Ethernet Quad Core - MBT-4220

Hi all,

I have been trying, without much success, to get Untangle installed on the MBT-4220.

This device only supports UEFI boot, I cannot see any option to set legacy boot in the device settings.

Whilst I can get the Graphical install of Untangle to start, I get a warning about forced UEFI. I tried installing with the Yes option, and also the No option.

First try, GRUB could not be installed, next try, GRUB installs, but after reboot, the MBT-4220 wont boot Untangle.

I've tried both ISO images, IMG images, and different ways of creating the USB boot media. On Windows, Rufus, Win32DiskImager. On Mac, terminal and uNetbootin. All end up with no boot to Untangle even after successful install.

Interestingly, pfSense installed first try without any issues at all.

What am I doing wrong?

At this time UEFI is not supported.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    At this time UEFI is not supported.
    Well thats a massive problem with this hardware!

Any workarounds at all?

How about using a UEFI boot manager?

Any plans to include UEFI support any time soon?

Thanks

Untangler

I had a Gigabyte motherboard with a similar issue... I turned OFF Protected Storage (I think it was called) option in BIOS which allowed me to install Untangle v14
    bluechris likes this.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by automationstation View Post
    I had a Gigabyte motherboard with a similar issue... I turned OFF Protected Storage (I think it was called) option in BIOS which allowed me to install Untangle v14
    Unfortunately there is no such setting on this particular hardware. It's UEFI only.

I almost had success using rEFInd, a UEFI boot manager. It detects and boots the Untangle install, but when I try and access the Untangle UI using the built in chromium browser, I get a message saying "Not Found"

So I have given up and installed pfSense for now. I guess it's a waiting game until Untangle provides UEFI support.

Which hopefully wont be long?

I like pfSense, but I prefer Untangle! So hopefully a UEFI solution is being worked on.

Master Untangler

I think part of the bottleneck is upstream, if I'm understanding things correctly, and it is being worked on there. Apparently firmware vendors are another part of the problem.

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

pfSense sits atop FreeBSD so can't be directly compared to Untangle in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    I think part of the bottleneck is upstream, if I'm understanding things correctly, and it is being worked on there. Apparently firmware vendors are another part of the problem.

https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

pfSense sits atop FreeBSD so can't be directly compared to Untangle in this case.
    Yes, Debian is having issues with UEFI. It's the whole "non-free" chain issues again. It works, if and only if you're willing to accept vendor specific stupidity. Debian doesn't do that crap, and we shouldn't really want them to. Fortunately the firmware is getting better too, so the problem will resolve. But in the meantime you will have issues if you need to force EFI boot.

Once again, go Intel or go home. Intel EFIs don't have these problems. They always have legacy mode.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TR1PL3D View Post
    Unfortunately there is no such setting on this particular hardware. It's UEFI only.

I almost had success using rEFInd, a UEFI boot manager. It detects and boots the Untangle install, but when I try and access the Untangle UI using the built in chromium browser, I get a message saying "Not Found"
    if it booted enough that you could launch chromium, it really should have worked. did you try accessing it over the network? Untangle brings up whatever it thinks is the internal interface on 192.168.2.1 so that you can setup headless boxes

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    if it booted enough that you could launch chromium, it really should have worked. did you try accessing it over the network? Untangle brings up whatever it thinks is the internal interface on 192.168.2.1 so that you can setup headless boxes
    Now that is interesting! I did not try to access the interface via 192.168.2.1 after successful boot!!

This is what I saw when trying to access the UI.

Maybe its time to backup the pfSense install and try one last time!

That error indicates an incomplete installation, or corrupted installation media.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast