Untangler

Default "Cloning" an existing Untangle router

My employer is moving to a new location soon and I want to install the new internet service and an Untangle router ahead of time to verify that all will be ready for when we move in.

Is there some easy way to copy the settings from my current Untangle device to a new device? Granted that I'd have to adjust for different MAC addresses on the interfaces, otherwise, I'd like the new device to be the same as the current one.

Backup / Restore in /admin/index.do#config/system/backup

You can also use Command Center to continuously sync settings between the two boxes.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah, just pull a configuration backup and restore it, the only requirement is both Untangle installations need to be the same version.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I find that hardware environment needs to be similar as well, in the sense that a week or so ago I moved my Untangle installation from one of those mini PCs with 4 nics in it to a Virtual setup within ESXi with only 2 nics.

When I restored the backup, all kinds of crazy things went wrong and I was unable to access the Untangle VM.

I suspect that had I have restored the backup with out the network settings then all would have been well, but I just decided to start again from scratch. It was a good excuse to get rid of some old unneeded port forwards anyway

Yeah, having the same number of NICs helps, so if you're virtual just add some extras and don't connect them to anything. After the restore, you can shutdown and remove them easily enough.

But, before the restore, you should have been able to choose what went to what, and that in and of itself is a problem, because determining which virtual interface is connected to what, in a virtual environment, is hard. No bones about it, that's the hard part.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com