Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Initial Configuration Fail?

Just installed on a Dell Optiplex 790 with one integrated NIC and an Intel 29083-001. Trying to get the Intel Dual NIC configured but failing miserably. I want to configure one of the 29083 ports for primary WAN and the internal NIC as the LAN port. Reserving the second port on the 29083 for a failover WAN in the future. Untangled detects the full duplex connection on the 29083 but its unable to pull DHCP. I have flashed the BIOS and tried replacing the NIC. Same result.

Thanks for any information!

Lots of views, no responses. Trying to do a proof of concept to justify the annual subscription and the appliance.

Here's the thing... when you decide to use your own hardware, you take it upon yourself to support that hardware. There is no one other than yourself that can figure out why your particular collection of parts won't work.

If you want supported hardware, you have at least two sources of appliances, and many more custom built platforms provided by many vendors. The fact of the matter is, hardware support isn't easy. Myself included, I spend a ton of time troubleshooting, testing, and validating product. And you want me to do this for free on a forum? Not only is this request unreasonable, but it's honestly flatly impossible. I'd probably be crazy enough to help anyway if I had a clue as to what was going on, but typically speaking if an interface is shown in the UI, it simply works.

One more thing, you cannot reasonably "proof of concept" Untangle on a hardware platform that will be nothing like the one you're planning to use. Left over junk will perform exactly as such, it's junk. That doesn't mean it won't work of course, but in your case it seems like your NIC has something wrong with it.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-18-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I assume you mean it won't pull DHCP from your ISP? If so have you tried to connect the 29083 WAN to your internal network just to see if it will pull an internal DHCP address. This might help you narrow down where the problem is.
    That is I assume you have a currently working network with a DHCP server you can test against.

Oh goodness yes, is this a cable internet connection? Because if the OP didn't do a reset on his cable modem that would cause this. I really should stop assuming people know the basics, I jumped down a likely irrelevant rabbit hole up there.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-18-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    abailey likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Oh goodness yes, is this a cable internet connection? Because if the OP didn't do a reset on his cable modem that would cause this. I really should stop assuming people know the basics, I jumped down a likely irrelevant rabbit hole up there.
    I have a dream one day that you won't have to reset your modem to have another device get a lease.
    I don't understand why this is an issue at all, much less why it is extremely common.
    These modems just run linux...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    I have a dream one day that you won't have to reset your modem to have another device get a lease.
    I don't understand why this is an issue at all, much less why it is extremely common.
    These modems just run linux...
    It's not the modems it's the ARP control system in the CMTS, without it each individual cable modem can exhaust the DHCP scope, a problem that plagued cable networks in the early days. The modem going offline resets the appropriate virtual interface in the CMTS, and signals the back end to allow the address in question to be released to the pool. It's also the means through which the ISPs used to limit the number of devices when they charged for it. Most of them don't bother now, you're allowed two in most cases unless you buy static addresses.

It's a pretty neat system honestly, even if it does have this headache. All of the above is only made more strange now that those virtual interfaces built are actually bonded channel bands we keep bolting more bands into to go faster.

Oh, and if the IP is static, there's even more ARP protection on it to prevent spoofing, you still need that reset to move the static to a new MAC.

All of the above happens in either the cable modem as configured via TFTP on the DOCSIS interface, or in the CMTS router itself. Again the standard is fascinating, I'd love to have the opportunity to get into it further. But the local cable company always seems to want to offer me a job when I can't take it! LOL
    Last edited by sky-knight; 02-18-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Here's the thing... when you decide to use your own hardware, you take it upon yourself to support that hardware. There is no one other than yourself that can figure out why your particular collection of parts won't work.

If you want supported hardware, you have at least two sources of appliances, and many more custom built platforms provided by many vendors. The fact of the matter is, hardware support isn't easy. Myself included, I spend a ton of time troubleshooting, testing, and validating product. And you want me to do this for free on a forum? Not only is this request unreasonable, but it's honestly flatly impossible. I'd probably be crazy enough to help anyway if I had a clue as to what was going on, but typically speaking if an interface is shown in the UI, it simply works.

One more thing, you cannot reasonably "proof of concept" Untangle on a hardware platform that will be nothing like the one you're planning to use. Left over junk will perform exactly as such, it's junk. That doesn't mean it won't work of course, but in your case it seems like your NIC has something wrong with it.
    Wow. Lots here. First off let me thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. Second, I'm sorry your life has devolved into spouting non-relevant emotional vomit onto somone seeking help and knowlede about something they know very little about.

My hardware is not junk. Untangled actually detects and runs 100% on the onboard hardware. It's just the secondary NIC. The funny thing is the NIC is largely recomended for PFsense installs...

Yes I can run a "Proof of Concept" on my hardware. I want to see the application work for me as I expect. Standard business process.

If you dont want to help, why comment?
    TnowNC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abailey View Post
    I assume you mean it won't pull DHCP from your ISP? If so have you tried to connect the 29083 WAN to your internal network just to see if it will pull an internal DHCP address. This might help you narrow down where the problem is.
    That is I assume you have a currently working network with a DHCP server you can test against.
    Thanks for the response. I hooked up the system to my existing network that has a DHCP server built in. I then configured the internal NIC to be the WAN port and had it pull an IP. Test Succesfull. I then did the same test to my secondary NIC and the card couls not pull DHCP. So no true WAN. My hope was to hook the secondary NIC to my Cable modem if the test was s

No Cable modem attached. Yes I am aware that the cable modem needs to be reset to clear connection tables...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast