Default Upgrade a U50 offline from a USB stick/image

Hi,

I have a couple of U50 applicances that I'd like to upgrade to the latest version. They're new so I dont mind them having a fresh install. The upgrade by download method is a bit flaky on the connection I am using to set them up on having failed a number of times.

Can I just download a USB image and upgrade them that way?

I'm guessing that I would need to use the RMPrepUSB application and then make the partition SYSLINUX bootable rather than Windows given they already have untangled installed. There was another post a couple of years ago which suggested using the ISO image instead of the USB, so just wanted to make sure if anyone knows before I screw them up more than I have.

Thanks,

Dhillion

USB or ISO would be a new install only.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Its safe to attempt the online upgrade with a flaky connection.
    If some of the files fail to download or get corrupted it will just not start the upgrade and will attempt to download those files again on the next attempt.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Yeah, Untangle uses Debian, and Debian uses APT for upgrades. APT is pretty darned good at dealing with slow / flaky connections, I'd not worry about it.

But, if you're in time crunch and you want to bang it out during a maintenance window with a USB key, then pull a configuration backup, reinstall it, restore the backup, and move the subscription in your account at Untangle.com.

I don't generally recommend going through all of that unless the upgrade is large enough to need it. Going from v11 to v12, and v12 to v13... new operating systems involved... yeah fresh installs sped things up nicely. But from v14 to current? Just push the update button and walk away, no reboot required, heck I've done some of the minor updates during production hours and the users didn't even notice. So why waste your time doing it the hard way? Let the tech work for you! That's its job! Schedule the update and forget it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

OK thanks - I'll leave them be and see how they fair. I asked because one of my three devices is stuck at version 13 and doesnt recognise that there are updates available. The other two have got to an early version 14.

Open a support ticket so we can see the reason for the update issue.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Yeah you're going to want to put in a ticket as suggested, you can't upgrade to current and restore configuration backups that old. So... you must upgrade, or it's a full blast and reconfigure.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

OK, will do. Thanks.