Default Untangle Gigabit Performance

Hello all, thank you in advance to anybody who may be able to help. So far, I really enjoy the Untangle interface and features, and i'd like to continue with this solution. My issue is with it's performance in my current environment.

A little background: The appliance is a Dell VEP4600, Xeon 2123IT, 16Gb ram. Unfortunately, this piece does not seem to support legacy boot, so I installed ESXi 6.7 and the Untangle VM. Initially, I provisioned half the system resources, then later all available in an attempt to troubleshoot. In both scenarios, resource usage was in the single digits.

When I plug into a standard home router, I am able to get speed tests up to the full Gigabit of my fiber service. That same speed test will show at most 400mbit when running through the above. I'm using my ISP's speed test.

I went into the advanced interface config and set the speed/duplex setting, turned off everything that I could, same result. A note on this, even after manually setting the speed/duplex of the ports, it still shows as 0 in the Interface config section.

I know the virtual machine is not the ideal scenario, and when UEFI boot is supported, I plan on installing the standard way, but this is what I have to work with at the moment.

Would running it as a VM limit bandwidth, even with proper resources? I added some apps and saw no noticeable change in speed test, still less than half what it should be.

Thank you again for any help or advise that is offered.

Verify the NICs dedicated to the Untangle instance is not used for any other instance or ESXi management.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

That's my first suggestion too, vSphere management mucks with stuff, you can have those NICs on vSwitches instead of being dedicated, but management needs to not be on either of the gigabit feeds you're using for Untangle.

Beyond that, I'm not seeing anything in the system specs that worry me. The 400mbit barrier is also strange, because typically you're either 200mbit or gigabit, there are very few systems between.

Did you use the OVA to deploy Untangle? And if so, did you make sure you're using VMXNics?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Verify the NICs dedicated to the Untangle instance is not used for any other instance or ESXi management.
    Yeah,you are right.

Thank you so much for your replies.

Installation was an interesting day. After going through firmware updates etc. and confirming this appliance does not support EFI, I was able to install ESXi 6.7.0 Update 2. The Untangle 14 VM image did not install initially, I believe failing to due lack of disk space. Min spec stated 80Gb and there is a 128Gb ssd. Untangle 13 OVA installed without any issue, and once up and running I was able to update to 14.1.2.20190401.

The VEP4600 has 4x gigabit ports, 2x sfp 10gb, plus another 5 management ports. One gigabit port is dedicated to management, one for uplink. The appliance is connected to the internal network using the sfp port.

As per the install instructions, I created a dedicated vSwitch for each of the ports. Only two ports are assigned to the VM, to simplify initial setup. Eventually, I'd like to integrate the additional ports through Untangle.

I put together some screenshots in case I missed something with the ESXi setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

When setting up your virtual machine what adapter type did you give Untangle? Mine is VMXNET 3. Also in the Untangle advanced network settings my MTU and Speed/Duplex are all set to Auto.
    Also, when you test, start out by not using any APPS in Untangle. Easiest way is to just put the machine your testing from in the Untangle bypass. That way you can see if an APP is slowing you down or if it is something else.

Master Untangler

Try proxmox instead. Or try "Clover bootloader" to boot the Untangle install cd.

Who's your ISP? If it is AT&T, is your modem/router a PACE 5286? If so, that's a known issue with those boxes. Call AT&T and ask for an Arris BGW-210.