Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One Nighthawk Router, No Switch, ESXi Virtual Untangle Setup

I have a nighthawk router. I plug my ISP connection from the wall directly into the WAN port on the router. Then I use my router as the DHCP server for my wired and wireless network. I have an ESXi 6.0 server with two NICs that I have connected to my network. I have other virtual machines on this ESXi server. Is there a way for me to setup Untangle Firewall on the ESXi server as a virtual machine and force my network traffic to funnel through the Untangle Firewall?
    I have tried to set this up on my own, but most examples show an ISP router/modem, then Untangle box, then a router. I don't have the modem in this scenario.
    What I would like to do, is setup Untangle as a Virtual Machine on my ESXi server. Then plug my ISP connection from the wall into one NIC on the ESX server, then run a cable from the other NIC to the WAN port on my Nighthawk.
    Can this be down, and if so, How?

You can.

ISP modem -- ESXi NIC1---vSwitch 1 -- Untangle VM -- vSwitch2 -- ESXi NIC 2 --LAN.

Other LAN side VMs should use the vSwitch2.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I don't have an ISP modem. Are you suggesting nighthawk modem as the ISP modem?

There is an ISP modem somewhere. In your case go from the wall plate to the EXSi server.

I am a software engineer. I removed the ISP modem. I setup my own router. Which in this case was simple, my ISP doesn't even seem to use a Mac Address auth. Anyway, k, so I installed the untangle firewall on a vm running on the ESXi. I assume i'll turn off dhcp on the untangle server. Do I need to setup the vswitches and vlans? I have tried just running the setup, then plugging in the ESXi server to the wall plate, and I get no internet connection. Also, I do have other virtual machines on that ESXi server. Will I still be able to put them on my local network, or will I need to create a DMZ or another VLAN for them so I can connect to them from my computer on the other side of my Nighthawk router?

Sorry didn't mean for the software engineer comment to sound rude or pompous. Just wanted folks to understand my tech level a little better. I am really excited about using untangle mainly so my kids will always be using google safe search and youtube safe search.

How many physical NICs does the ESXi server have? Also don't use the management vSwitch for the Internet side of the Untangle vSwitch.

Untangler

Hi sprockets,
    I think you and jcoffin are talking about the same thing, just haven't quite synched. It happens with engineer types- let me put my tech PM hat on :P

ISP connection at wallplate (WAN) -- ESXi Physical NIC1---vSwitch 1 -- Untangle VM -- vSwitch2 -- ESXi Physical NIC 2 -- Nighthawk Router -- LAN.

That would work if you plan on using the router to provide DHCP or routing to additional clients besides the VMs you mention. Honestly though, I would put the router into Bridge mode and use it as a switch and Access Point. Let Untangle handle DHCP on its internal interface.

Hope that helps!

Thank you for the input Synical. Synical, do I plug in the vSwitch2 Physical NIC into my WAN port on my router?

The ESXi server has 2 physical NICs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast