Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HOW TO: Install to UEFI only (Gemini Lake+) machine with NO legacy/CSM

Hi,

So I managed to get Untangle 14.2 installed and working flawlessly on one of these UEFI only beasts: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/

The key issue is that Intel demands CSM/Legacy BIOS be removed from platforms over the coming year or two, and their latest platforms are UEFI only. The Untangle images do not boot on UEFI.

Firstly, the single drawback: at this point I've not quite managed to solve the EFS/EFI boot partition issue on the Untangle installed drive, meaning we need to continue using the USB boot key set to run Grub config on the drive automatically on boot. Not a big deal, just that USB key must be present. This will be solved in time.

Rough STEPS:
    - Download latest Untangle ISO (not IMG, ISO).
    - Prep USB key by using any number of Windows and other disk management tools to set the disk as GPT (NOT MBR). One way here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...to-an-mbr-disk
    - Download https://www.aioboot.com/en/
    - Run AIOBoot. Select Format to FAT32 and Install Bootloader. Do that.
    - Exit AIO.
    - Mount the Untangle ISO.
    - Copy all the files from the Untangle ISO to the new FAT32 partition on your USB key.
    - Boot USB key in target install machine
    - Go to GRUB2 config loaders, select the GRUB config related to USB key (probably mounted /dev/sd0 or something).
    - Install Untangle, it will bitch about partitioning and bootloader but you can get through it. Select use full disk for partition, skip errors, and skip bootloader errors. It will also ask if you want to continue to install in UEFI only mode - the answer is YES.
    - Done, config USB key as boot drive on machine, and set default to boot the NEW grub2 config thats appeared on your systems drive which is Untangle.

Thats how I got it done, running on a UEFI only Gemini lake, perfectly. Feel free to ask questions etc...
    Last edited by Ramonster; 07-08-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    jcoehoorn likes this.

Master Untangler

Thanks for this!
    I just got my Odroid H2 and have beating my head trying to get it working.
    Will test this out later today hopefully.

Master Untangler

I still havent gotten around to testing this out.
    When will UEFI be supported?

Once we switch to Debian 10.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I was about to ask if Debian 10 is even released yet, but it is came out earlier this month.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I understand if they'd prefer to save an official answer for a different place, but is it likely Debian 10 will be the 15.0 release?
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 15.1.0 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

That would be my assumption as well, if not v15 then v16, it will certainly be another .0 release when it happens.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Once we switch to Debian 10.
    Great news Hopefully the motivation to supply UEFI bootable and installable distros soon is there as more and more hardware now is arriving without CSM as per Intels edict.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramonster View Post
    Hi,

So I managed to get Untangle 14.2 installed and working flawlessly on one of these UEFI only beasts: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h2/

The key issue is that Intel demands CSM/Legacy BIOS be removed from platforms over the coming year or two, and their latest platforms are UEFI only. The Untangle images do not boot on UEFI.

Firstly, the single drawback: at this point I've not quite managed to solve the EFS/EFI boot partition issue on the Untangle installed drive, meaning we need to continue using the USB boot key set to run Grub config on the drive automatically on boot. Not a big deal, just that USB key must be present. This will be solved in time.

Rough STEPS:
    - Download latest Untangle ISO (not IMG, ISO).
    - Prep USB key by using any number of Windows and other disk management tools to set the disk as GPT (NOT MBR). One way here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...to-an-mbr-disk
    - Download https://www.aioboot.com/en/
    - Run AIOBoot. Select Format to FAT32 and Install Bootloader. Do that.
    - Exit AIO.
    - Mount the Untangle ISO.
    - Copy all the files from the Untangle ISO to the new FAT32 partition on your USB key.
    - Boot USB key in target install machine
    - Go to GRUB2 config loaders, select the GRUB config related to USB key (probably mounted /dev/sd0 or something).
    - Install Untangle, it will bitch about partitioning and bootloader but you can get through it. Select use full disk for partition, skip errors, and skip bootloader errors. It will also ask if you want to continue to install in UEFI only mode - the answer is YES.
    - Done, config USB key as boot drive on machine, and set default to boot the NEW grub2 config thats appeared on your systems drive which is Untangle.

Thats how I got it done, running on a UEFI only Gemini lake, perfectly. Feel free to ask questions etc...
    I ran through your install and am hung up on a few areas:
    - Go to GRUB2 config loaders, select the GRUB config related to USB key (probably mounted /dev/sd0 or something
    >I see [q] Search Grub2 and Syslinux configfile

I was able to install untangle and going through the menus I can get Untangle to boot successfully, but unlike a normal grub, I don't see a way to set a default boot on the USB bootloader which is what your last step seems to be for. It always loads up to the default menu item.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by rok1 View Post
    I ran through your install and am hung up on a few areas:
    - Go to GRUB2 config loaders, select the GRUB config related to USB key (probably mounted /dev/sd0 or something
    >I see [q] Search Grub2 and Syslinux configfile

I was able to install untangle and going through the menus I can get Untangle to boot successfully, but unlike a normal grub, I don't see a way to set a default boot on the USB bootloader which is what your last step seems to be for. It always loads up to the default menu item.
    Did you figure this out? This is where I got stuck as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast