Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Telefonix View Post
    I have a unit with IPsec VPN's restarting as well. What we found was when a certain remote user logged into the VPN from home it would cause a reboot. Logs weren't any help and just showed what the engineers said was a power related shutdown even though the system is on a UPS. Come to the conclusion that there is a bug in the IPSEC remote user feature.

Now that is interesting!

I do have 4 or 5 users using the IPSec connections while the rest use OpenVPN and I only use Open VPN at home.

Do you have any Site to Site IPSec tunnels?

I have thought in the past that I noticed a correlation to a specific guy getting on the VPN and it restarting but I couldn't prove it.

I'm going to switch him over to OpenVPN on Tuesday and see what happens.

I still find it funny/frustrating that the UVM restarting without the main machine restarting is blamed on power when it's clearly not. If it was power then the machine itself would restart as well.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Exclamation

HAY Untangle,

is anyone connecting the dots on this?
    O.P., a previous thread:
    https://forums.untangle.com/ipsec-vp...r-restart.html

regards

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    HAY Untangle,

is anyone connecting the dots on this?
    O.P., a previous thread:
    https://forums.untangle.com/ipsec-vp...r-restart.html

regards
    Interesting!!!

I'll have to e-mail him as I have actually been to where he works and he showed me around there recently.

Thanks!!
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Jim

Yes, my customer has 3 sites, soon to be five sites, linked with IPsec VPN's. Imagine my feelings having this happen on my first Untangle sale and on the customers main site hosting the servers and PBX. I built an entire new hardware platform and programmed it from scratch only to have this issue rear its ugly head again. So happy to see i'm not alone. I will switch the remote users over to OpenVPN and try that for the road warriors. I had thoughts of doing that but had the understanding that you couldn't mix IPSEC with OpenVPN.

Thanks to all for your prompt comments.
    Marc

Thank you, and have you opened a ticket with support? please do - the green button at the bottom of this screen.
    Have a good weekend!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 09-02-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    If you think I got Grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Telefonix View Post
    I had thoughts of doing that but had the understanding that you couldn't mix IPSEC with OpenVPN.

There is no reason not to use IPsec and OpenVPN together. I have several sites using IPsec for site to site and OpenVPN for offsite employes. I am switching the remote sites to use Untangle's SD-WAN so only OpenVPN will be used in the future.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah you can mix and match the VPNs all you want, as long as you keep your head on and make sure the routing tables are complete the packets will flow!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Well, since we first installed Untangle in the middle of June this is the longest it has remained up (almost 13 days now).

I moved everyone off of IPSec remote connections to OpenVPN while leaving the IPSec Site-to-Site connections in place.

I'm pretty sure that Jim hit the nail on the head with there being issues with IPSec remote connections as nothing else including all new hardware and power changes made any difference.

As long as the Site-to-Site IPSec connections work I really don't mind making users use OpenVPN but this has been a long and frustrating road to get here so hopefully others can see this and save themselves a lot of time and frustration if they have the same issue.
    Jim.Alles likes this.

My machine at home is at 43 days of uptime right now (same hardware as mentioned above) so I just don't know where to go from here.
    If the past week has been any indication I'll know by Sunday if it's going to reboot and it will happen either 1 time or 3 times during the day when it happens.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123