Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Default UVM restarting randomly on works new router?

I have been running the same hardware at home since December with no issues starting with version 14.1.1 I believe.
    Supermicro 5018D-FN8T
    512GB SSD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133 RAM

I decided that since I liked it so much and our USG Pro wouldn't handle our new gigabit fiber connection at work to go with the same hardware there and got approval for it.

It ran fine on 14.2.0 (the current version when I installed) for 14 days and then rebooted. Support said that it was a power issue based off of log entries like this in /var/log/syslog:
    image (1).png

Since then I have:
    Replaced the power cord
    Moved it to directly plug into our APC SMT1500 (I have one at home too)
    Replaced the RAM
    Updated the firmware on the Supermicro server (instructed to do this by Supermicro)

It still does this soft reboot. The actual machine isn't rebooting fully as it comes back up in under a minute while a full reboot takes 3+ minutes. It did it at 7:28AM and 9:30AM this morning actually.

I also updated my server at home to the same version but I see a different kernel version at home?

My home router has been rock solid while the work router is flaky.

I'm open to suggestions as Supermicro is down to me replacing the power supply. Hopefully they'll send me one as this machine is only 6 weeks old.

My boss and people at work are starting to get crabby when a call or WebEx session drops because of the router rebooting and I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Work on left and home on right:
    Servers.png
    Last edited by jlficken; 08-08-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Master Untangler

Well, I'm still fighting this.

Supermicro sent out a new machine and it still happening. It did it again about an hour ago so I took the machine out and put the USG Pro back in since it's stable.

My last option since every other piece of hardware is new and all power issues (UPS, PDU, outlets, etc) have been investigated and eliminated was to replace the SSD with a different one and reinstall so I did just that and restored our config to it.

It's back up and running for now but if it reboots again I basically give up and will just go back to the USG as I don't know what else to try. I'm glad we didn't get a 1 year (or more) license at this point in time though.

The only thing I can think of is that it doesn't like that we push 100GB+ per day over a Site-to-Site IPSec VPN but the USG never cared about that for well over a year.

My machine at home is at 43 days of uptime right now (same hardware as mentioned above) so I just don't know where to go from here.

If the past week has been any indication I'll know by Sunday if it's going to reboot and it will happen either 1 time or 3 times during the day when it happens.

How old was the SSD?
    model?
    If you think I got Grumpy

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim.Alles View Post
    How old was the SSD?
    model?
    It's a Samsung 860 Pro 512GB that we bought new when setting up the machine a couple months ago now.

Good Morning!

Replacing that might have taken care of it. A problem with the hard drive can certainly impact networking performance, and who knows what else. That does look like a decent one, at first glance.

what is in the machine at home?

And a new kernel version won't 'take' until the box is re-booted.

Master Untangler

Yeah it's my last guess. I've never seen a Samsung Pro SSD go bad like that but there's a first time for everything.

At home I just have a 512GB Micron SSD that came out of a HP Z240 workstation. I don't remember the model.

I did just reboot my home router so now it is on the same kernel version. If the reboots start at home too I guess that will give me my answer. I didn't realize a reboot was needed to update the kernel but I'm a Windows guy. The work one updated since it was rebooting all the time apparently.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    The work one updated since it was rebooting all the time apparently.
    oh, the Irony LOL

you are welcome!

Master Untangler

Well, it already rebooted once at 7PM last night so I'm out of ideas.

I'm going to talk to my boss about moving back to the USG I guess. Hopefully mine at home doesn't start doing this now as I have a 5 year license.

Master Untangler

I really thought that maybe it was our Site-to-Site VPN that caused the issue as I changed it a couple of days ago after the last restart but I guess not as it restarted again just now.

I really, really wish I could get this to work but I've been fighting this for almost 2 months now and I am absolutely positive it isn't a power issue as support stated since even with completely new hardware it still happens while nothing else in the rack has any issues.

If anyone has any last ditch ideas please let me know as I'm out of ideas and we'll probably have to move on to something else shortly.

I'm not sure what you expect. Hardware support isn't easy, if it was companies such as mine wouldn't exist. Untangle wouldn't have their own appliances.

I'm sure there's a log somewhere that has the detail you need, but you're the one that has to find it. Probably in /var/log/messages somewhere.

In my experience this sort of thing is often caused by bad ram. But it just as easily could be a defective memory controller, or any of the above being incompatible too.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast