Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Moving to new hardware

Hi,

Been using Untangle for over 10 years now and was very happy up until today when I came to switch out my ageing hardware...

- Bought a new small fanless unit
    - Backed up my existing config
    - Made a new bootable USB with the latest version of Untangle
    - Installed it
    - Connected the new unit up as a DHCP client on my current network just to get going,
    - Ran the setup wizard,
    - Installed all the default apps
    - Opened the command line from the untangle console
    - Used SCP to copy the backup file I had made onto the new untangle box
    - From the untangle UI select Config -> System -> Restore
    - Select 'restore all settings'
    - Select the backup file I just copied onto the unit
    - Pops a dialog saying 'The restore process is running, this may take several minutes etc...'
    - Then...
    - Nothing..., nicht... sod all, is restored in any way, shape or form, no errors, no messages, its like I did nothing...

Can't tell you how disappointing this is, makes me want to ditch the whole thing and start again with another distro.

The 'migrating hardware' process is overly complicated. and for me at least, just doesn't work...

Does anyone know of any magic snake oil that will get the platform to do what it says on the tin, and actually restore my configuration !

Ahh, yes you made the fatal mistake... the mistake of all power users mucking about with Untangle.

GET OFF THE PHYSICAL CONSOLE!

Let me say that again another way, the physical console is for troubleshooting and initial configuration and absolutely NOTHING ELSE.

Use of SCP to get the restore file to Untangle is NOT SUPPORTED. And that's where it all went wrong.

Seriously, slap an IP address on Internal, connect via your desktop / laptop and run your restore from a real browser from a normal machine, and it'll just work.

And yes, I've done this to myself too. :P So relax, do things the easy way, and watch it work.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah, but that warning pops up when you click the terminal button on the physical console.

You don't have to touch it to enable SSH access, nor attempt to use the local browser for any real administration.

So... it's kinda useless in this case. We really need an alert to pop when you open the admin console on the physical console... hey this thing is barely functional! Use it to get something else connected and GTFO!

Or perhaps this warning should pop when the SSH rule is enabled? That thing is terrible to have enabled at the best of times anyway.

And why? Because browsers for xfce bare bones Linux platforms are all extremely limited! If we limited the UI to the bare functionality of that chromium, we may as well not have a UI!

But dang, I'd rather have that half busted UI there than a command line mess...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 09-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

OK, Its now 3am in the morning (UK) and I now have fully transferred the system over, but what a crap process...

Not being able to do a restore on a standalone box is B******t..., having then to fanny around getting a 'spare' PC to then connect to the new appliance just to load a backup file is laughable...

Then, not being able to assign the interfaces correctly is equally crass.., Oh yes, you can re-assign interfaces.., no you can't... 'You are not able to change an external interface to an internal interface in this way, however. ', great, thanks, very useful...

Excuse the rant, but for a product as 'mature' as this, its madness. The basic installer should ask if you want to restore from backup.., first question after first boot, WTAF were you thinking...

There is a popup when ssh is enabled also.

Untangler

Oh, thanks.., and BTW I didn't make a _change_, I copied a file into a temp area to upload via the web UI which I then deleted afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tescophil View Post
    Not being able to do a restore on a standalone box is B******t..., having then to fanny around getting a 'spare' PC to then connect to the new appliance just to load a backup file is laughable...
    You can download the backup from the previous UT before moving to new hardware and restore locally using the GUI. Or just get the new Untangle online and restore from the cloud in Command Center. Lots of choices.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    You can download the backup from the previous UT before moving to new hardware and restore locally using the GUI. Or just get the new Untangle online and restore from the cloud in Command Center. Lots of choices.
    OK, cool, so how exactly can you restore locally using the GUI ???

/admin/index.do#config/system/restore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast