lug

Default Installation freeze at partitioning disk

Hi,

I have a Dell Edge Gateway 5100, which I want to install untangle on. (I know Realtek NIC, but it's only for lab, so it's fine for me)

My problem is, I want to install, but it freezes after I choose which disk to install on (internal m.2 drive) and it says partitioning disk for hours, is there any way to get a debug output during install?

If the M.2 drive is NVME you're boned because the Debian Untangle is based on cannot boot EFI yet, and it simply won't work.

If the M.2 drive is SATA, then it should work but you might have to tinker with the SATA operation mode. Some boards need to be AHCI, others need to be IDE Emulation. It just depends on the hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

lug

Well, opening that thing is not that easy, but as the drive shows up in the installer, it should be SATA, right?
    Unfortunately, all I can do in bios settings is AHCI or disable the SATA controller.

Then sadly it sounds like you have hardware that isn't compatible...
    NexgenAppliances.com

lug

So, is there no way to get a debug output of the disk formatter? Maybe, just maybe, the issue is something else.

Quote Originally Posted by lug View Post
    So, is there no way to get a debug output of the disk formatter? Maybe, just maybe, the issue is something else.
    The only thing you can do is try to install Debian 9, Untangle v14.2.2 is based on Debian 9.9. That installer by default gets you access to more stuff. There is an expert mode installer for Untangle as well, but I can't put details here. It's not exactly a secret, but idiots use it to do dumb stuff and then clog up every support window we've got with insanity. And for a new unit, it's actually easier to troubleshoot with the base Debian.

It is odd though, because that thing is usually based on Ubuntu... you'd think it'd just work.
    NexgenAppliances.com

lug

I was running Debian 9 on that system before, that works. But it was installed in EFI mode.
    Should I try legacy install?

Yes, Untangle doesn't use the EFI in Debian 9 because it's a problem. Technically Debian doesn't support EFI until v10. Someday we'll be on that one, but in the mean time we're at the trailing end of a hardware mess that requires a ton of tinkering to get some systems working.
    NexgenAppliances.com

lug

Okay, unfortunately in expert mode the screen keeps being blue after selecting the drive to install on.
    After pressing some keys like esc and Ctrl+c the screen changes to "starting up the partitioner" pleas wait... 50%, I guess I'll just wait for Debian 10 based untangle, even if you need a year or so for it, currently running on an old apu board
    Last edited by lug; 09-28-2019 at 10:04 AM.

If you dig around on these forums, there are some guides on how to hack up the current install to boot EFI. It's not supported, but some have had luck with it.
    NexgenAppliances.com