Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    If your device running Untangle has video out (VGA or HDMI port), connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to it.
    As stated in the OriginalPost I tried this but got ‘no input on HDMI’ on the monitor. Tried several hdmi-in’s but none showed a picture.
    Guess you can only use the hdmi-out on Untangle after a reboot as part of the setup proces.

So as far as I tried nor hdmi, nor console nor ssh worked.

Quote Originally Posted by homenetwork View Post
    As stated in the OriginalPost I tried this but got ‘no input on HDMI’ on the monitor. Tried several hdmi-in’s but none showed a picture.
    Guess you can only use the hdmi-out on Untangle after a reboot as part of the setup proces.

So as far as I tried nor hdmi, nor console nor ssh worked.
    HDMI is annoying... it won't always turn on with the appliance unless a monitor is attached to it during boot.

So you might have to plugin a keyboard monitor and mouse, then hit ctrl-alt-delete a few times to see if you can get it to restart, or do a hard power cycle... the latter can be quite destructive... but you might not have any other options.

P.S. There are more things that can cause this error than a full drive...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-12-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by homenetwork View Post
    Ok but how does this physical console work? You just plug network cable in? Connect a laptop? Get an (internal?) IP? And then what?
    (Foregive me my ignorance... )
    Can you please tell me how the physical console port is supposed to work? Connect with a laptop and use putty?

When I say physical console, I mean you attach a keyboard, mouse, and monitor and you use the Untangle appliance like what it is... a small desktop computer.

If the thing has a "console" port labeled on it, that's a serial interface and is DISABLED by default, so you can't use it because you didn't turn it on, nor should you turn it on.

If you're using an HDMI to VGA adapter to connect the monitor, find another monitor, you need direct HDMI to work in many cases because you can't "adapt" HDMI to VGA, I hate the fact they sell those garbage adapters because they simply don't work in many cases. You can adapt VGA, svideo, composite and component, because they're all analog. Just as you can adapt HDMI, DVI, and display port because they are all digital. Jumping that divide without the correct gear doesn't always work.

If you don't get control after hitting the space bar a few times, you're going to have to power cycle the unit. It will either let you in so you can do stuff, or it will kill it. If the latter, you're going to need the stuff attached to the Untangle to boot it to a USB key with Untangle on it to reinstall it anyway.

This is 10000 times easier than working with ARM gear, I'm at a loss as to why this is so difficult. More specifically, I'm wondering how you set the thing up because you have to attach a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the thing to complete first boot before you have reliable network access. So there should be nothing to "teach", you've already used the physical console.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-13-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

What hardware are you using for the Untangle.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I am using an Untangle U25 appliance which has a port labeled 'Console' on it. That's why I was confused.

But now it is clear that such a port doesn't offer an alternative way to access the system.

Status now:
    • Native HDMI+mouse+keyboard: Tried, incl <ctrl-alt-del> , but nothing happened;
    • SSH: tried, but timeout
    • Untangle Command Center: Appliance visible but no other actions available
    • Raised support case: No reaction yet

If the latter will not help I'll powercycle the unit and keep my fingers crossed…

Ahh yes...

I know that magic box well because I also sold it, I work with that manufacturer. The HDMI on that unit will not energize if there is no monitor attached during boot.

So you have no choice, you must power cycle the unit while the monitor is attached, and if the unit comes back... great. If it doesn't... well you'd better have a USB hub handy because you'll need to boot to USB Untangle installation media, with at least a keyboard too, to reinstall the platform.

Those little boxes almost never break, so I'm not worried about a hardware fault anymore. But, I also hated that unit because the 32gb SSD in there is TINY and it's very easy to run out of space. So I've talked many customers through reinstalling over the phone to get them going again. Which is why I don't offer them anymore, I got tired of the support calls.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 10-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I think console port is RS-232, but not sure. If yes, you need a cable RJ-45 to DB-9 like Cisco or APC UPS.
    The world is divided into 10 kinds of people, who know binary and those not

Quote Originally Posted by dwasserman View Post
    I think console port is RS-232, but not sure. If yes, you need a cable RJ-45 to DB-9 like Cisco or APC UPS.
    It is, but it's not enabled on Untangle by default, so it doesn't matter.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

UPDATE:

I was planning for a controlled powercycle with a preconfigured backup router available for this weekend but...
    An unplanned power-outage hit me today and Untangle came back running just fine.

Diskspace only at 60% so no clue what caused my frozen Untangle.

Anyway: I’m happy and thanks for your help!
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast