Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I can understand the OP's confusion on this point. Maybe adding the checksum to the wiki page will prove helpful to someone like the OP, someone investigating Untangle but not wanting to create an account just yet. Since that route is offered it maybe could benefit from that tweak.

Hello and thanks for taking time to answer me.
    I confess I do not know anything about managing a dedicated server, except a little bit of theory, and
    "because nothing is worse than doing nothing", I came to ask the question even if it means looking like an ignorant person.
    Basically I saw that Untangle is based on a Debian with an XFCE desktop, why not install it and see if I can make a desktop, I use almost only Wine and Firefox. If I can not, I will not waste my time but I will have learned something, nothing shocking in my approach.
    Sam Graf is right, I have "Skip to Downloads".
    Good day to all.
    Last edited by TestUser; 11-06-2019 at 06:16 PM.

"Untangle is a bare metal install as it has its own OS. As it is a edge device OS, it should not have any other use."
    I did my experiment, I installed Untangle by adding Ligthdm, XFCE4, Wine and it's true that it's not planned to.
    I might as well start from an empty Netinst.
    I've never installed a server before, I have no use for it, but I was curious.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by TestUser; 11-07-2019 at 12:28 AM.
    f1assistance likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TestUser View Post
    Hello and thanks for taking time to answer me.
    I confess I do not know anything about managing a dedicated server, except a little bit of theory, and
    "because nothing is worse than doing nothing", I came to ask the question even if it means looking like an ignorant person.
    Basically I saw that Untangle is based on a Debian with an XFCE desktop, why not install it and see if I can make a desktop, I use almost only Wine and Firefox. If I can not, I will not waste my time but I will have learned something, nothing shocking in my approach.
    Sam Graf is right, I have "Skip to Downloads".
    Good day to all.
    Actually, you asked a great question! And Welcome to the forum!
    While it's not intended for 'desktop use', it's an amazingly powerful perimeter defense (home and/or office)...and when the risk of the interweb is acknowledged, I seriously wouldn't contemplate nor suggest 'any' promiscuous contact to the 'public pipes' without it. DOOM awaits with every passing byte! #ProtectionMatters
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12